Chapter 20: Clashes

"The shadow of a thing doesn't exist without the original to cast it. A dry bed was still once a river. A bell unrung is still a bell." —Jodi Picoult

**

SHE WALKS hallways like it is the runway.

Every student, new and old, those who know her or have heard of her, the people who admire her and the people who hate her, paused as she made way in the corridors. They follow her with both stares and glares.

Wearing a mahogany red open back top and brown pegged pants, she grazed the campus on her running shoes and tied her hair in a high ponytail. A white Prada promenade bag is clinging on her arm, as if announcing her wealth with just her bag.

If people's feelings about her are summarized, it will most likely be envy.

"You're back," said her friend, Joy.

Only a group of four girls awaited her at the end of the long hallways. It's like they have been waiting for her for so long.

She smiled. A hint of pride and menace plastered with it.

"I am," Irene answered.

The queen has returned.

"Isn't he supposed to be a dropout or suspended?"
"I heard he's on drugs and that he's connected with a mafia."
"My orgmate told me he'll beat you up if you stare at him for five seconds."

TAEHYUNG always hated how he had sharp hearing. Or maybe he doesn't have one... Maybe people wanted him to hear it. Clearly, the accusations and stories about him became exaggerated over time. He could care less, though.

But they could at least shut up a little.

"Good morning. Today, our group will present..." Namjoon's voice was muffled in his ear, as if their judging whispers were louder than his voice.

Heck, he's not scared or embarrassed. Still, it is uncomfortable.

He remained standing in front. Even with his groupmates, he feels crucified under the scrutinizing gazes of these strangers. He didn't ask them to look but they watched his moves eagerly. Nit-picking every detail. Finally finding someone they can look down to, so they can feel better about themselves and everyone will agree, no one will pity, no one will tell them it's awful to spew insults without looking through the mirror first.

He's the bad guy, after all.

"What a great performance! You've tackled every needed point in your presentation and I could see the effort and the very good relay of answers. Good job," the professor beamed and praised the presentation after they finished it.

Fortunately, he did not need to stand in front of them for an hour.

The teacher eyed him suspiciously, "Miraculously, everyone participated huh," he commented in a disdainful manner, "If you have trouble with any members, just tell me. We can deduct their individual scores."

Taehyung rolled his eyes. It's very obvious that the last statement pertains to him. He'd say it's petty but of course, a delinquent student like him saying something like that would just be mocked upon.

The only thing he can do is to not care.

He could not care any less.

They started walking back to their seats as the class was about to end. Jisoo went beside him and whispered, "You did fantastic! Group presentations are not that bad, right?"

He stared at her for a second.

She's definitely oblivious of how she's the only one who thinks he is supposed to be there or that he did good. Of course he won't tell that to her.