Chapter 31

I'm dead.

My parents stood looking stunned, their eyes wide open and mouths hanging.

"F-fiancé?" My dad was the first to speak.

Ian nodded with a smile. "We got engaged not too long ago"

Dad turned to me. "Hailey, why didn't you tell us this earlier?"

Sweat trickled down my forehead. "Um I... I-" I started hyperventilating and quickly glanced at Lexi, begging for help.

Lexi got the message and flashed a smile to my parents. "It's getting late and you must be tired because of the long flight. We should get going"

"Put their bags into my car" Ian threw his car keys to Brian. "I'll drive them"

Brian nervously obeyed and Lexi shot me a sorry glance before helping Brian to take the suitcases out of the airport.

"Mr. and Mrs. Evans" Ian looked back to my parents. "You must be hungry. Shall I treat you to dinner? In my house perhaps-"

"No!" I suddenly yelled and all of them turned to me. Ian raised a brow and before he could say something else I jumped in. "Restaurant!" I nodded hastily. "Yes that's right. Restaurant! Let's eat...uh from a restaurant" I grinned awkwardly.

"Fine" Ian agreed. "I know a good place. I'll take you there. Let's get going shall we?" Ian asked my parents and Dad slowly nodded his head, dragging mom with him.

Brian and Lexi were loading the luggages to the trunk as we approached them.

"You two can join us to dinner" Ian suggested but they shook their heads.

"No...um" Lexi gulped. "Thank you but we have somewhere else to be. Right Brian?" She nudged Brian's elbow and he came out of his daze. "Oh yes yes" He nodded deliberately. "We have somewhere else to be. We'll get going then. Bye Hailey" They waved their hands and I mouthed a No but they ignored my helpless cry and sprinted towards Lexi's car in a hurry.

Those traitors! How dare they leave me in middle of the battlefield?

"You look familiar son" I tensed as my father spoke, staring at Ian with puzzled eyes.

Ian smiled. "I get that a lot" He opened the backseat car door. "Please get in Mr. and Mrs. Evans"

Dad hesitantly nodded and got inside, pulling mom with him. Ian closed their door and turned to on-the-verge-exploding me.

"What the hell?" I hissed angrily. "What are you doing here? I thought you went on a date with Emma"

"I never said yes to the date"

"You did!"

Ian smirked. "I just asked at what time I should be there. I never said I would go"

"Then why did you even bother asking for the time?" 

"To avoid it of course" Ian shrugged.

I gaped. "What nonsense is that? So you really stood up on Emma?"

"I paid for her dinner. She can eat whatever she likes and then go home"

"I'm gonna kill you-"

"Everything alright?" My dad asked, rolling down the window.

"Yes, Mr. Evans" Ian answered, turning to look at him. "Everything's alright" He then gave me a smirk and climbed on to the drivers seat.

Asshole!

I huffed angrily and climbed on to the passengers seat. From the rear view mirror I could see my mom still looking stunned and it will take a while for her to get a grip on everything. And when she does I'm pretty sure all hell would break.