x.

NICOLAS

Walking into a quiet home is odd, but after the show between Alessio and his stupid little plaything that he calls a 'girlfriend,' I made it utterly clear that there was no more bringing women into the home. The last thing I needed was for Giulia to be scarred to death by the actions of my brothers.

I decide against flicking the lights on, and instead make my way straight up the steps, tugging my tie off as I do. Vincenzo and Alessio aren't home, probably because of my new ban in regards to banging in the home. But I know for a fact that Giulia is and it's not because of the hint of light seeping from under her door.

She's a good girl, for the most part. I've kept my eyes on her over the years, and sure, she has the whole feisty and independent act going, but apart from drinking on occasion and wearing some skimpy outfits, she's not much of a rule breaker. In fact, her recent actions are surprising to me.

I haven't seen her since our run-in in the kitchen. I'm glad for it. She really annoys the crap out of me, especially when she tries to act like she's a lot older than she is. I decide, against my brain telling me not to, and knock on her door, before throwing it open.

"Oh thank goodness," she calls out when she hears the door open. Giulia has her suitcase sprawled open on the bed and she's trying to stuff it full and zip it up. Her back is to me and her long, blonde locks fall down her back. "I need some help trying to—"

She shuts up as she glances back, realizing that it's me, but it's too late. She's peaked my interest. My eyebrow raises in curiosity as I lean against the doorframe, stuffing my hands into the pockets of my slacks.

"We're you expecting someone?" I question her nonchalantly. Of course she was not. No one can get on this property without prior approval from me, so that means that she's been getting friendly with someone here. Maybe the staff? Though she should know by now that they don't service after 8pm, and it's way past that.

"No," Her cheeks are flushed and Giulia innocently shakes her head. "I thought you were your brother. I need some help."

I narrow my eyes slightly, before walking over to her in a few short strides. Reaching over her, I push down on the suitcase and give it a quick zip, quick and fast.

"Are you going somewhere?" I tease. She's not leaving. I assume that she's likely just trying to put her things aside, as we are going to be in Chicago in a few days for her birthday party. I haven't told her yet, but she will remain under my protection here in Boston afterwards up until our wedding. I don't trust her not to run, and I don't trust any other fucker to look after her.

"I was just packing up for Chicago. My mother wants me in a few days earlier than expected. You know, to make sure everything is set for the party," Giulia answers me calmly, but I can tell that something is making her nervous by the way that she is avoiding my eyes. I wonder what it is, because every single time that we have any conversation, her confidence and curiosity is always at a high, unlike now.

"Ah, I don't think so, darling. We will be flying in on Friday morning with Bibiana and Romero, and flying back here early the morning after the party. I'll let your father know that his wife's plans will need to change, although I know he will agree with me. This is your well-being we are talking about," my words are clipped and curt, refraining from showing any emotion as I've been trained to do my whole life. Her face falls immediately, a combination of shock and disappointment coating her face, yet I can't bring myself to feel upset over it.

"You can't do that! That party is important for me and my family, and I'm perfectly safe there. My papa wouldn't agree to this! Mama needs me there so I can ensure my dress is perfectly fitted and for the final decisions on placement of seats," Giulia crosses her arms across her chest, frowning as she turns to stand next to me. I stifle a laugh, seeing as she thinks that she may be able to get her way, when surely she won't.