Hokage

A gentle, rhythmic clacking echoed through the corridor at the top of the Hokage Tower. Naturally, his footsteps that should accompany that sound were silent. Danzou enjoyed the sound his cane made: those who knew him feared it, feared him. Those who didn't underestimated him because of it.

He killed those people.

"Torune, what is the status of the hunt for our missing-nin?" he asked, voice dangerous, low.

"Teams 12 and 14 have been found. The genin have been brought back to the village, their senseis, regrettably, were killed during the retrieval."

"Am I to understand then, Torune, that the search for teams 8 and 10 have been unsuccessful?" He asked, squeezing his cane tightly in his hand, turning his knuckles white. He knew the answer. Had it been otherwise, Torune would have been tripping over himself to give the good news.

"Yes, Danzou-sama. Sarutobi Asuma has managed to kill at least four of our trackers and seriously wound two others. Team 8's trail has run cold after crossing the border into Kiri, though we found evidence that Team 9's Rock Lee is travelling with them."

Danzou nodded slowly. It was good that the boy hadn't disappeared entirely. His showing in the Chunin exams proved his potential. Team 9's situation truly was unfortunate. Might Guy was too enamoured with Hiruzen's ways and, like many others loyal to the previous regime, had attempted to fight his way out of the village.

His attempt had failed, though he managed to create enough of a commotion that the boy Rock Lee managed to slip through their fingers.

Guy would not be turned and Danzou knew well enough that trying would be a waste of effort, and his attitude had spread to his students. Even so, Danzou had never been one to throw away a potentially valuable tool, and the Genin could be turned to his cause, even after the damage Danzou had been forced to inflict upon their sensei.

All things said and done, his ascension to power was always going to have been a bloody affair. The losses had been inevitable, a price worth paying. But he needed to act decisively now to secure his position, to secure Konoha's position. Especially as Konoha was missing its Jinchuuriki, spirited away as he had been by Jiraiya. The tracking seal he had placed inside the boy using his blade all those months ago was useless while he was with the Toads. But Danzou would know as soon as he returned, and the boy would be taught how to properly wield that power of his in Konoha's service,

If he didn't, Danzou would simply rip it out of him and give it to someone who could.

"Torune, once the confirmation ceremony is complete, muster the Jonin. I have indicated my willingness to Suna to discuss peace terms. We will use this opportunity to wipe the village from the map. You have command of the operation. Kill them all."

A moment passed, "civilians, Danzou-sama?"

Danzou's eyes narrowed.

"Now is not the time for cowardice and hesitation, Torune. The other villages will be looking for a chance to strike at us and we cannot afford to look weak. Scour Sunagakure from the maps, eradicate every man, woman and child. Show the world what it means to cross Konoha with Shimura Danzou as it's Hokage."

"Hai, Hokage-sama."

Torune flickered away to begin carrying out his orders and Danzou paused in front of a set of heavy oaken double-doors leading the roof of the tower, where his inauguration as the fifth Hokage was about to take place.

For Konoha.

He strode through the door, the red and white robes of office flowing out behind him, and emerged out into silence, suddenly flanked by a pair of ANBU. There were no cheers, only hundreds of kneeling shinobi below. That was fine. He had known that he would never be loved, never be appreciated in the way that Hiruzen had been. But under him, they would be strong. Konoha would thrive. Danzou reached the railing and gazed out upon the village that was finally, finally, his.