< LXIV >

Celine Elloise Dufort:

We've been driving for hours and I have no idea where we are. Everything looks the same. All the mountains, all the bushes, all the fields filled with grass, all the cities and villages we rode by, they all look the exact same. 

As if he's been driving in circles, trying to get some more time alone with me. 

Because we both know what will happen when we arrive at the Curzio's. 

I did recognize Bordeaux when we drove through it. The bridge and the cathedral. I recognized them. But that was two hours ago. And I have no clue where we are since he's not driving on the highway. 

The road he's taking is in the middle of nowhere. No signs to tell me where we are. Nothing. 

Nothing but green lands as far as the eyes can see, some houses and sometimes a mountain. But that's it. 

I look at the little screen in the car and stare at the time. It's already two in the morning, which means we've been driving for over four hours. 

April twenty-first. Five days. They took us in for five days. And they still have Neveah. 

'We need to stop to get some gas.' Kai whispers. 

It's the first thing he said to me ever since we left the house. Ever since we left Neveah with Hunter. We need to stop to get some gas... 

I look out through the window and try to see if I recognize anything. Any sign of where we are. But there's nothing but grass. A field that's dark in the night. 

'Do you need to pee or want something to eat?' I bite on my tongue to keep myself from shouting at him. 'Celine?' 

He drives onto a normal highway again, making me look at all the signs on the sides of the road.  Saint-Vincent-de-Paul. 

He's been lingering around Bordeaux for hours. 

'I don't need anything.' He nods and continues to drive until we reach a gas station.

The car stops and Kai jumps out, waiting for me to move. But I stay put. 

If I get out, I might run. But there's nowhere for me to go. 

We need to at least drive six more hours until we get to Paris. 

Toulouse. We left from just outside Toulouse. 

I have to remember where exactly until we get to Paris. Until I can tell them where they locked us in the house. Until we can get there to check it out. 

I made sure I knew exactly what the house looked like, wishing that they left some clues, any clue at all. Maybe we could get Neveah out of there if they did. 

Otherwise, we would be screwed, not getting any further in this battle. 

'Here.' Kai says as he gets back in the car. He bought some bottles of water and some chips in the store. I stare at him for a second and turn to the window again. 

There's no way I'm taking anything else from him. 'Take me to Paris.' 

He sighs as he throws the bottles and chips into the car and looks at me for a second. I don't know if he's actually looking at me, but I feel his eyes on me. 

'Celine, please-' 'Take me to Paris, now.' I state, trying to keep my voice down. 

Wasting energy on him will be entirely worthless. 

He sighs deeply, but starts the car and continues driving. He doesn't take a detour this time, just straight onto the highway, following the signs to Paris.