67 | The One With The Replacement

Varanasi, India.

The Ganges turned saffron as the sun started to sink, the hymns from the mandhir near the river banks echoed. The river flowed silently as RK, clad in veshti, took slow and steady steps down the steps of the wet ghats holding an earthen pot smeared with sandal and sindoor. He shuddered as he climbed down the ghats until the cold water reached his torso.

Shree shivered as the cool breeze blew past her. She sighed as she averted her reddened eyes to look at the birds that flew smoothly in the sky. Madhu, dressed in a white frock was holding the fall of Shree's ivory shaded sari. Madhu looked around with her big eyes. In a corner, not too far from the river, were flaming pyres. She turned her face away in disgust as the priests instructed two skinny men to toss the half burnt corpses into the river.

"I want to go, Mumma." Madhu whispered as she held Shree's pale hands. "Mumma, can we go now?"

"Come, Madhu. Let's go sit in the van and wait until they come back." Devi says. "Shyaam, I'm taking Amma and Madhu to the van."

Shyaam nods. He takes few steps and goes to stand next to Shree.

Day was bruising into the night. The sun was setting and the darkness was painting its shades everywhere. Her eyes were steady to the horizon, face lit aglow with the last few golden rays of the sun. It was a few minutes before twilight beckons the stars and the moon. A strong breeze of air blew past her, the wind blew her hair into a tousled mane.

"It's hard to believe, right?" He asks looking at RK empty the ash into the Ganges. "That he's gone."

"He came, gave me everything, and suddenly chose to abandon me." Shree says.

"We can do one more DNA test and see-" Shyaam suggests. "We can send it to a good lab in the USA or-"

"How many more DNA tests will it take Shyaam? We've done five so far in so many foreign labs. A sixth one won't be any different. I have given up, Shyaam. I have accepted the fact that Madhav is - is - dead."

"You know, your right. Another DNA test will not make any difference." Shyaam says crossing his arms. "It's just that his death is difficult and hard to believe. Especially for Madhu and Dad."

"I can't believe Madhu has to grow up without a father." Shree sighs defeated. "She's not even five, Shyaam. And she has to grow up in a world without a father. I hate that she and the baby will be going through all the hardships that Amma and I went through."

"Don't worry. Madhu, the baby and you have a big family to lean on to." Shyaam says holding Shree's hand. "I am there for you both. Devi is there, Ma and - and let's not forget Dad! He'll totally be there for you and-"

Shree quickly picks up the towel and rushes downed the ghats as RK walked up, holding Yashoda's hand.

He raises his eyes, which are still unfocussed, Shree notices his wrinkled face wet with tears.

"My dear child, sit down." He says sitting on the steps of the ghat. Shree sits beside him. RK holds her hand. "Darling, I need you to do me a favour."

Shree nods.

"The business - Ramakrishna Group of Companies, needs a new leader, a brand new CEO, and I can't think of anyone who'll be perfect to take after Madhav."

"You mean you want me to-to-to-"

"Yes, dear child. I want you to replace Madhav as the new CEO of the company." RK nods. "The CEO position is vacant for quite some time. It's not good that it remains that way. I could takeover as CEO but I have retired and I want my children to take the reins. You're the perfect person for the job. You've worked with us as Madhav's secretary, and you know everything about the company - so why not?"