64

Anything.

I knew I had to keep that promise to Gwen. I knew I had to, and I knew I would.

As I wandered along the dark corridors, nothing but occasional moonlight illuminating my way, I wondered how I would. How, if I had exhausted every ounce of my resources to the point of having no plan at all, but waiting?

Would I have enough time to wait?

Would He do worse to my sister as time went on?

I shook my head at the thought, a sickly feeling forming in my stomach before it went on to crawl up my throat and spread through my entire body. My gaze was pointed at the floor, watching my feet take one step after the other rather than roaming the empty corridors.

It helped me focus my thoughts, organise them and stay calm while I forced my attention onto each and every step I took to keep my mind from wandering. It's why walking the halls at night had become a kind of coping.

Something soothing in the sense. Something that had the possibility to ease the worn mind I seemed to possess these days. It wasn't easy. I never believed it would be.

Though, I halted in my steps at the sound of a seemingly heavy door opening, the noise echoing through the castle in a way you'd think you'd still be able to hear it down in the dungeons.

It made my head snap upwards, eyes taking in my surrounding to figure out where my absent mind had brought me. I shouldn't be surprised when I recognised it to be the seventh floor, the sound coming from my left.

I shouldn't have been surprised to see Draco, either.

There weren't many people who wandered the halls at night as frequently as I did. He — on the other hand — was one of them. So, seeing him silently exit the room, the loud door being the source of the sound, I couldn't say I didn't expect it to be him.

Somehow, he was always there.

I didn't feel like sneaking around, following where he was going and what he was doing from the shadows. Though, I knew what it meant whenever he spent time in the room of requirements.

And every day he was in there, he got closer and closer to executing his plan. I couldn't let that happen; not ever, and especially not after my conversation with Gwen.

I promised to keep my word. I promised, and I would.

"What are you doing?" The words simply slipped out, had him halt in his movement— freeze completely for a few seconds. And then his head turned over his shoulder; his eyes widened slightly as he took a deep breath at the sight of me.

He tended to do that, to look at me with that burning glint in his eyes—something filled with desire, seeping with comfort.

He didn't say anything, head falling back as he took a moment to assess the situation. His Adam's apple bopped when he swallowed thickly.

"Adreanna," He acknowledged with a nod, his eyes flickering back and forth between the door and me, even after I took slow steps towards him.

My name fell from his lips without heed. It was a strange thing — hearing as he said it so effortlessly. It took him a long time to do so; to get to the tipping point of him saying something as simple as my name without discomfort.

My gaze followed his to see him hesitantly close the door behind him, regret in his eyes as he did so. Instead of answering my question, though, he shook his head gently— even huffed a few times in sarcastic amusement.

I sighed.

"You fixed it, didn't you?" I wondered, my voice low. His head cocked in my direction abruptly, searching my face with desperation in his eyes as he tried to figure out what I knew. "The cabinet?"