Forty-nine

𝐽𝑎𝑚𝑒𝑠

Ava had stayed over at my place last night, rather than returning to her parents as planned. Following Enzo's death, both of us had felt a little bit relieved, almost as if a weight had been lifted off our shoulders. He had been a pain in my ass for long enough now, and I was glad that we finally got rid of him.

She had been surprisingly okay after pulling that trigger. I knew it was her first time killing someone, but I was certain it wouldn't be her last. Not if she was going to stand by my side, ruling the mafia world together.

It wasn't that normal for a mafia boss to have a girlfriend. Arranged marriages were more common, to form allies with other mafia groups. But as the leader, I had the right to decide what I wanted. And what I wanted was Ava.

We were both sitting by the table in the dining hall at the moment, opposite Alesso and my mother. We had just finished discussing the future of both our relationship and the cartels.

Except for the guards outside the room, no one else was present other than the four of us. It was a major matter, we had to ensure that Ava understood what it meant to be the leader of something so great and dangerous. Not that we doubted her capability to do so, but it was for her safety. She needed to know what was coming.

When the meeting ended I escorted Alesso and my mother to the foyer where we said our goodbyes. Then I walked back to the lounge, where I saw Ava situated on one of the sofas with a stack of papers across her lap. I wouldn't call it a contract, it was more of a document of information that held every detail about Il Risorto, which was the name of our cartel. She was required to know this if she would join us.

I looked away from her figure and made my way to the liquor cabinet. I knew Ava disliked whiskey, so I only poured myself a glass. When I raised my gaze to look out the window it was dark out, apparently the time ran away when you discussed important subjects.

I turned and walked towards her to take a seat on the other couch, facing her. Her brows were knitted together in concentration as she eyed the papers carefully. I leaned back and lifted my ankle to rest it on my knee, and took the chance to study her body. She was sitting with her legs crossed which made the dress she wore slide up her thigh. She was so much younger than me, yet so much more beautiful than the women around my age.

I was a lucky man.

She was unconsciously nibbling on her bottom lip and my eyes watched the movement attentively.  I took a sip of the drink and let my eyes fall to her chest where the low neckline showcased her round breasts. Her chest moved up and down with every breath she took, and even though I wasn't supposed to disturb her I couldn't help but.

I placed both my feet on the floor and set the glass on the table next to the couch. We were close enough for me to be able to touch her if I just leaned forward, and I raised my hand to caress her thigh. Her eyes moved to mine as soon as she felt it.

"James, I need to concentrate." She said in a serious tone, diverting her attention back to the papers.

She looked too sexy not to fuck right now, and her words didn't stop me from continuing. I lowered my head to kiss the upper side of her knee, which caused her to sharply inhale. I raised my head to look at her, only to be met with a warning glare.

"Don't do that."

I chuckled at her attempt to sound convincing.