[55] Wait-V

Happiness has stopped lasting longer.

The rain covers all the chances of any family member getting the scent of the rich blood of dead bear hanging on my shoulder.

My first hunt.

I feel nervous. I feel greedy to see their faces.

None of them were seeing it coming. I made sure to give them no sign of my instincts progress from last two weeks and decided to surprise them.

The greenery around us turns bright at being washed by the rain. The sound of drops falling on to the grass makes me realise that rain has always accompanied me whenever Moon Goddess gifts me something.

It is evening but I hear no noise of preparations for the dinner. No clanking of utensils, no scoldings of the Aunts, no little pups running around.

Little Reveka loves rain. Why isn't she out?

My foot slides in a pool of mud and I stable myself smoothly. I blink and look around the street when I reach the stoned path.

From Father to Uncle Radu's house, I hear no sound. They are all gone.

Didn't they hear my growls of victory? Wasn't I loud enough to bring them pride? Is there something happening at the lake? Or worse, at the colony of foreign wolves?

From behind the wall of cattles' chamber, in front of Uncle Radu's house-Victor walks out of the narrow street to stand in the middle and look at me.

His blue colored clothes are drenched. He reads the question in my eyes. "Your Uncles..." He gulps.

We had wrestled a week ago. The way he gazes at Tara these days, fills me with slight anger. Deep inside, I wish for her mate to be someone from this territory only. Even if it is him, I will be relieved. He is an obedient Lycan, sometimes behaves cocky like Anton, but with less talking.

Yet my heart won't let him go ahead with his little advances until he shifts and finally finds his mate.

If I let him, it will soften Tara's heart for him. I couldn't let that happen without knowing her fate.

"Your Uncles went. . ."

My heart starts falling off a cliff. I had warned father about not giving them any kind of tasks. He listened. King listened. They might not like Lucine for scaring us like that. But they all believed in her words as much as I did. Especially, when I kept convincing them.

"What?" I growled.

Virion walks forward to reach me. He gestures for me to pass him the dead bear. "You must run to the West."

I close my eyes. My fists tighten in deep anguish. My heart lands on the ground hard and bleeds from the force.

"It was the lightning, Karam. They were cutting wood from the forests. It passed through one tree and their hearts stopped. . ."

My mouth stays open as I look at him in disbelief. I don't think I have heard about such kind of death of a Lycan before.

The Uncles were young. Too young to leave their families so abruptly.

"Where was my father?" I whispered in shock.

Virion takes the body from me and adjusts on his shoulders with a grunt, blinks his wet eyes from the rain. "He was returning early to come and meet you."