Chapter 0: A Second Chance at Life

Rain drizzled down the window. You stood up from your seat, swinging your bag over your shoulder as the bell rang. Stepping out of your classroom, you were greeted by your two friends, Akio and Hiroshi. Well, you were Akio's self-proclaimed friend. With his loud, boisterous personality, you couldn't escape him if you tried. That was what happened to Akio's younger brother, Hiroshi, who was much more mature and responsible than his older brother. Akio ended up dragging him along whenever the former tagged along with you. Eventually, you got used to their presence.

"(Y/n)-chan! Yoohoo, (Y/n)-chan, we're over here!" Akio called, laughing slightly. He had dark brown eyes and hair, and his skin was slightly tan.

"She heard you the first time." On the other hand, Hiroshi was pale with silver hair and dark eyes that looked almost red in the sunlight.

You walked toward the duo and moved past them, barely sparing them a glance. Akio spluttered, chasing after you. Hiroshi merely trailed after his brother like a lost puppy.

"(Y/n)-chan! (Y/n)-chan, wait for me!" Suddenly, he stopped, crouching down in a sulking manner. "(Y/n)-chan doesn't like me anymore..."

"She probably doesn't," Hiroshi replied bluntly, unaware that he worsened Akio's mood. The elder wilted, his soul practically escaping his body.

You gazed at them over your shoulder with apathetic eyes. "Are you coming or not?"

Immediately, Akio brightened as he rushed over to you and started to rub his cheek against yours. "Yay! (Y/n)-chan loves me!"

"Anija, get off of her. You're annoying her."

Akio gasped dramatically. "Are you saying that I'm annoying?!"

"Yes."

The dark-haired male slumped down to the floor, waterfall tears spilling down his face. "You're so mean to me...!"

You sighed, exasperated. "Get up, Akio. You're embarrassing me."

Your words seemed to have the opposite effect when Akio melted into the floor in sadness. You threw her head back with an irritated groan.

"Get up, Akio," you repeated. "I'll let you come over to my home."

"Really?!" he cheered, perking up. "Can we watch Naruto?"

You gave him an odd look. "What's with you and your strange obsession with Naruto? It is a good anime, but there are others too, you know."

"Are you sure it's all right," Hiroshi piped up, "if we come over to your house? Since..."

You averted your eyes. "It's fine," you said softly. "Besides, it gets a little lonely at times... since my parents aren't here anymore..."

Akio placed his hand on your shoulder. He donned a serious expression. You blinked at him, curiously.

"(Y/n)-chan, we're here for you. Don't be lonely anymore." Behind him, Hiroshi nodded in agreement.

A warm feeling spread in your chest, and you sent them a small smile. "Yeah."

The three of you stepped out of the building, your individual umbrellas unfurling to protect you from the rain. Side by side, you walked down the path that led to your home. Akio was back to being his childish self as he jumped around in the puddles. That was, until Hiroshi stopped him, scolding him that he would get muddy and eventually would give you more work to clean your house. Akio pouted, his expression resembling a kicked puppy, but he relented.

Suddenly, screams rang out from a nearby street. The brothers' eyes widened and they ran over to the source of the sound, with you following behind them. A man with a gun was threatening a woman who held a small child in her arms.