Chapter 4: Family Relations (part 2)

"You're kidding, right?" Haesoo asked, the two girls standing in a secluded corner of the military base

"You're kidding, right?" Haesoo asked, the two girls standing in a secluded corner of the military base. They were both leaning on the wall, arms crossed, practically mirror images of each other. "Out of all realms..."

"It can't be helped, you know it." Grace sighed, closing her eyes. "It hits you when you least expect it."

"Tell me about it." Haesoo sighed, knowing exactly how her best friend felt.

Haesoo didn't know when it happened but there was one day where Jeong Jaehyun wasn't just the boy she grew up with, the two competing to see who could launch flames higher up in the air. Jaehyun had won every time, but it was the happiness and laughter that followed it that made it so special. There was one day where she had seen Jaehyun differently, and to make that day better, he had felt the same way about her.

It was cute, a secret little relationship they had, sneaking out of the base to watch a volcano in the distance erupt in the night sky. To anyone else, it would have been horrific, but to them, it was the prettiest sight they had ever seen before.

When Jaehyun's engagement with Grace was announced, Haesoo was absolutely devastated. She didn't know what hurt more, the fact that she could no longer be with Jaehyun, or the fact that she had lost him to her best friend. The two closest people to her were now engaged, leaving her out and all alone.

At least that was what she had expected but thinking back, it was foolish. She knew that the two hated each other since they were kids and that hadn't changed after their engagement.

Neither of them seemed to care too much about it either, never wearing their rings. They had one common goal, and that was to break the wedding off as fast as they possibly could.

With Jaehyun, almost nothing had changed with him either. He still saw Haesoo all the time, covering her with light kisses and holding her hand when no one was around. A part of her felt guilty, even after Grace told her that it really didn't matter to her anyways.

Haesoo had to admit, it was wrong and it was bad, but knowing that it wasn't only Jaehyun's side that was doing it made her feel a little better. The only problem was the who.

"But I still don't think being with someone from a light realm is a good idea." Haesoo told the Ombra Princess. "And definitely not Luminosa. That realm is literally Ombra's worst enemy."

"Then I guess it's a good thing that I'm marrying out of the realm." Grace joked, but Haesoo didn't find it funny.

"Grace, I'm serious. You've been staying at his place and seeing him in Ombra, someone's going to catch on soon and if it's not someone from your realm it's going to be from mine and to be quite honest, I don't see any of these options ending well."

"What if it was Jaehyun?" Grace asked, staring at the girl. Haesoo gulped, seeing the darkness in Grace's eyes grow, only something that only the people of Ombra could do. It was a horrific sight, seeing their eyes change, a scene only known to those standing right before their deaths. "Wouldn't you do the same?"