Chapter 19 - Impending Doom

Heinrick was the first to recover. "Ah, lass. If you want to learn self defense then-"

"No, I want to learn how to kill big things." I cut him off. While Eclis seemed to have a more liberal view of things, the rest of this world wouldn't. I wasn't going to stand someone holding me back simply because of my gender. Behind me Eclis chuckled. An evil look entered his eye.

"Then its decided. Heinrick will be your teacher." Unlike Eclis, Heinrick was not good at hiding is emotions. His dismay was there for both of us to see. It made me grin too.

"Look at you two, you're made for each other. Smiling at a man's pain." From his perspective I'm sure he saw two snickering figures evilly grinning at him.

"Is the thought of training me so painful sir Heinrick?" He gave me nervous grin.

"Oh, no... No. It is an honor you would trust me with your safety your grace." He sighed, defeated. Since it was my job to stop them from fighting, I didn't try to leave again even when the conversation turned to business. Heinrick became serious when they started discussing the strain between the human kingdoms and the Empire and I didn't even bother to hide my interest in the topic.

The uproar after Eclis' escape was only briefly mentioned in the book so it was thrilling to hear it in detail. Tyrra had learned of Eclis' return and were already accusing the Empire of invading their lands to rescue him. Despite it only been three days since Tyrra had gotten word of it, rumors were already spreading of witnesses seeing a war band around the prison and a village being razed. Of course, the Empire was currently denying all allegations and rightfully so. I was the one to blame. I realized both eyes had fallen on me again.

"It can't be put off much longer." Heinrick's usual exuberance was gone.

"It can be put of as long as I will it too." Eclis sounded defensive which meant Heinrick was right.

"What can't be put off any longer?" Heinrick gave me a grim stare.

"The emperor wishes to meet you lass."

"The emperor has not sent a summons, and she collapsed three days ago." Eclis' tone bid no argument. I sighed.

"Misa will love to hear that I need to find a dress for the imperial family." It had only been three days of this and I was already exhausted. It was mentally exhausting having to let others dote on my so much and these dresses limited my mobility in a way I'd never experienced before. This news would only worsen things.

"Do not let him pressure you into meeting the imperial family. Your health comes first." It was nice to know Eclis was trying to protect me. I'm sure both of us wanted to delay my meeting with the crown prince.

"Things will only escalate the longer we delay though." I replied dryly. Heinrick nodded his agreement.

"Tyrra wouldn't dare start a war with me here." He was right, they wouldn't.

"But they can start a trade war." Heinrick continued nodding his agreement with me. Eclis looked annoyed. He knew we were right.

"Do you want to see the imperial family that badly?" A familiar edge entered Eclis' voice. Perhaps he's worried that I'd be interested what they had to offer?

"Absolutely not. I'm lazy, remember? But I'm also not stupid." I glared at the screen in front of Eclis while I thought. "Can you do all the talking about how we got out?" Eclis hadn't told Heinrick about me yet so I purposefully kept my message cryptic. The imperial family by nature could tell if you lie even if they didn't have any of your blood in their veins. To keep my secret safe, we'd need a plan. We also had another problem to contend with. The imperial family wanted to bind Eclis to them and if the novel plays out as it should, that would mean the crown prince would approach me in the future. One of the best ways to form alliances between vampires was to contract with each others sacrifices after all. How did Julia not break down with all this pressure?

"We will worry about the imperial family after you've spoken with Michael." I nodded. There was no reason to dispute that. A couple days more wouldn't lead to catastrophe and I was glad for any reason to put it off.

"We should send them a statement at least. Something they can use against Tyrra's claims." Heinrick was the only vassal Eclis had that was willing to challenge him. I needed to make sure he stays this time.

"I'll handle it." Eclis cut the conversation. Satisfied with even a small win, Heinrick moved onto more boring topics again and I swiftly lost interest.

"You'll sleep just about anywhere." Eclis' voice sounded bemused, and I felt something lightly brush my forehead. With a stretch and yawn I realised I was still trapped. I blinked at the scene before me in the study until understanding coloured my face red. I fell asleep on him!

At some point Alphonse, Misa, and Maybella had entered the study. Alphonse and Maybella's faces were perfectly passive staring at their masters while Misa was lightly blushing at the sight. Heinrick still lounged in his chair but he now had a glass of wine.

"Let me go." Annoyance coloured my voice perfectly. Of course, both vampires could still here my heart pounding, but I did my best to ignore that fact. Blessedly, he finally complied, and I shot out of his lap and to the other side of his desk in a flash. Maybella swiftly joined me in removing any creases in my dress shortly followed by Misa who had finally gained control of her expression.

"Give me your answer at dinner." To Eclis my voice was toeing the line of angry, but I smiled at Heinrick. "And I'll see you later Sir Heinrick."

"Dutchess." Heinrick stood and briefly bowed as I left. No one spoke as we exited Eclis' chambers. The moonlight shone through my sunroom windows telling me it was already nighttime. I'd been in there for hours.

"Misa, fetch me something to eat. Maybella, draw me a bath." It was amazing how quickly a person could get used to change. In only three days giving them orders like this almost felt natural. When I turned around, I was surprised to see Alphonse had followed me into my room. "Speak."

"Madam, I came to discuss how you would like to structure your schedule." It was obvious Alphonse had another topic he wanted to ask me. It was practically burning in his eyes.

"I see. Put it off for another week, I have some things to discuss with Michael first before I consider that." In all honesty I was just feeling a lot of things and wanted to be alone. He still didn't leave. "Just ask Alphonse." He seemed ashamed that I'd noticed.

"Madam." He hesitated. Instead of waiting I sat at my private table in my bedroom and without being asked Alphonse began to prepare tea. "It is impudent for me to ask this, but if you will allow it..."

"Ask, though I might not answer." That seemed to be enough to ease his conscious.

"How did you and master escape?" The thought briefly crossed my mind that Alphonse was a spy. Briefly. I knew for a fact that he was willing to die for Eclis though, so I let it pass.

"If you're wondering if Eclis drank my blood uncontracted, no. He didn't." We stayed in moonlit silence while Alphonse deftly poured Earl Grey. As I watched him work it occurred to me that Alphonse held great power in the palace. Aside from Eclis and his vassals the next person with the greatest influence on the staff and access to the palace was standing in front of me. If I wanted to live here comfortably once Julia had arrived having him on my side would significantly help me. At least until I could go home that is. A stab pierced my heart and I coughed into my hand revealing speckles of blood.

"Madam, you must be vigilant, even in your own thoughts." He wiped the blood from my hand delicately with a clean white handkerchief. "Instead, please focus on your goals here." It was still too early to make him mine. Instead, I decided to lay the foundation.

"Speaking on goals, would you make time to be there when I talk to Michael?" His eyes met mine. Now that I was paying attention to it, I could sense the wariness. "I'd love to have your help in the future." I smiled at him before drinking my tea. Somehow Alphonse knew my tastes. The tea was perfectly steeped leaving no bitterness in its aftertaste. He'd put just the right amount of cream and sugar despite me never being specific with either Misa or Maybella.

"Of course, Madam." His eyes were studying me, "The books you requested have been left on your desk in your study."

"Thank you, if there isn't anything else I'd like to be left alone for some time." Wordlessly he bowed leaving me to my thoughts.