Chapter 28

"Look at that," Cole marvels at the island.

"Awesome."

"Let me see," Karlof says, pushing past Kai.

"Do you mind?" Kai asks.

"Welcome to Chen's island," Clouse says. "The Tournament of Elements welcomes its brave fighters. Master Chen will be pleased you've returned, Sensei Garmadon."

"The pleasure is all mine, Clouse," Garmadon says.

"I'm sure it is."

"Definitely feeling some tension between you two," Jay says.

"Yeah, and how is it we're on an island I've never seen on any map?" Kai asks.

"And care to explain how the face to Ninjago's most popular noodle house is secretly assembling an underground fighting tournament?"

"Master Chen used to be a friend. Now he's a traitor. During the Serpentine Wars, Chen turned against his own kind and sided with the treacherous snakes," Garmadon explains.

"The battle you and Uncle Wu fought together in?" Lloyd asks. "He was an enemy?"

"He used deception to divide the Elemental Masters. We barely defeated the Serpentine, and in a deal for his surrender, Chen was to never leave this island. Little did we know, he'd begin to build his criminal empire from here."

"He may have divided our ancestors, but he's not gonna divide us," Lloyd says, determined.

"Uh...ladies first," Kai says, letting Skylor walk past.

"Thanks, big bro," Y/n says sarcastically as she was also pushed aside.

"Fire will melt her icy heart. Just you wait," Kai says as Garmadon sighs and Y/n facepalms.

"This is a big island," Cole noted. "Zane could be anywhere. Keep an eye out."

"So this is the house that noodles built. Ha! Always wanted to go to a red carpet event," Jay says.

"Chen lives like a king. Here, he's totally self-sufficient. The only way on or off this island is with his permission, which you have to earn."

"You never told me about this place. How do you know so much about this island?" Lloyd asks.

"Because before Chen was my enemy, he was my Sensei," Garmadon says, showing them an Anacondrai tattoo on his back.

"You never told me you had a Sensei," Lloyd said as they sat down.

"When I was your age, I sought a darker means of guidance. He taught me to win at all cost, no matter who I hurt. It wasn't until you saved me that I saw the light."

"Uh, apparently he also never taught you to have a sense of humor. Lighten up, we're in an underground fight club. This is supposed to be fun," Jay says.

Zugu bangs a gong as music from a gramophone plays.

"All rise for Master Chen."

"Welcome to the Tournament of Elements. Now everyone can all di—" He says as the doors suddenly close and everyone gasps. "—rect your attention to me!" He laughs.

"And he has a thing for jokes, it seems," Y/n says.

Chen laughs. "Never before have so many Elemental Fighters been under one roof. I see Master of Fire, Earth, Shadow, Speed, even two prophesied Green and Purple Saviors," He sang. "And a former pupil has returned," He says before pointing to a gong. "This symbol before you is for the Anacondrai, fiercest Serpentine warrior to ever roam this land. Its creed: 'Only One Can Remain.'"