9

A girl can only pretend to admire herself in the mirror for so long. I was wasting time here. The woman from before had been browsing through a section of clothes that honestly were two sizes too small for her. I'd been watching her because she was my only way out of this store. All she had to do was try to leave. I grumbled angrily and decided to stuff a floral shirt in my denim jacket. It may be useful.

I sighed as I looked through the racks, constantly looking at the woman. Like my thoughts commanded her to, she made her way to the exit. I quickly made my way to the other one. The woman smiled at the cashier at the door before walking out of the threshold. Alarms blared to life because of the scarf in her bag. While everyone's attention was on her, I walked out of the back entrance.

I didn't feel the least bit sorry for the woman as I walked around the mall. I had to get to Santa Pores as fast as I could. Vittore was definitely already on the search for me. Getting out of the mall now and onto the streets was risky so I took an elevator and made my way to the roof. This way, I could monitor what happened below and no one could get the drop on me. Plus, there were no cameras up there.

When I had finally reached the roof, I was glad to find I was alone. I sat down on one of the air conditioning vents as I gazed at the night sky. Getting comfortable, I sighed as I waited for time to pass. I tried to go through all the information I had learnt in my head.

Vittore was the most dangerous man in the world being the first thing I learnt. My father wouldn't even spend decent money on my funeral which was another and Violet really was a good friend. She looked for me and all. That was sweet. I crossed my legs and took a breath. Closing my eyes, I tried to meditate. It was a perfect waste of time and a way to stop my mind from wondering too far.

My eyes fluttered open when a bright light hit them. It was the rays of the sun. It was rising and the sky was a beautiful orange colour. I took a deep breath of the now morning air and enjoyed the feeling of the sun on my skin. It made me feel normal. That even after all I had been through and the trouble I was in now, I was still human in a way.

I still felt the rays on my skin, I still took a breath every second, my heart still pumped blood and my sight was still on point. The only thing that had changed was my mind. It was scarred and molded into what the creators wanted it to be but I was determined to be free. I just had to complete the promise I made to myself first.

I decided it was time to go back to the place I once called home. I didn't know what that was anymore. I took the elevator back down to the ground floor. Stepping off the elevator, I walked to the main door. Majority of the stores were closed which was expected. It was very early in the morning.

"You are trouble aren't you tesoro?" I stopped in my tracks and sighed angrily. I turned and looked at Vittore. Damn him he actually looked good in his all black attire.

"So are you Don," I responded looking around. He definitely here with some men.

"I came alone. After the person I sent failed, I thought it was best I took matters into my own hands," Vittore said rolling up the sleeves of the black long sleeved button up shirt. His muscles flexed and his tattoos looked tempting.

"Vittore Martinelli getting his hands dirty?" I asked with a raised eyebrow as I slipped off my denim jacket.

"It comes with being a good leader. You have to show your subjects you can play our part in the field too," he responded running a hand through his hair. A plan formed in my head.

"I'm not going back," I said darkly before turning on my heel and sprinting away.

It's not that I couldn't fight Vittore, it's that I didn't want to. If I managed to actually win, I'd be injured enough for him to send more people for me. I couldn't keep fighting through everything, I'd get tired and break eventually. In this case, fleeing was my only choice. It's not about fight or flight, it's about survival and smarts.

I could hear Vittore running after me. he was catching up faster than I thought he would so I run towards the food court. I jumped over one of the counters, rolling and landing in a crouch. Wasting no time, I stood up and run through the back door. I weaved through the back kitchen as I tried to get out of the mall. I threw down any utensil my hand touched to slow Vittore down.

I didn't dare look back because I knew he was right on me and I'd just panic. Pumping my legs to go faster, the exit was in my line of vision. I used my hand to tilt a huge saucepan in the path behind me. I heard it crash to the floor as I pushed open the door then I was running. I run around the building into the parking lot. I could hear steps behind me and I still refused to look back.

Can't this guy just quit? My chocolate brown skin was hot, my chest was tight and my legs were getting tired but I pushed on. The pain was a slap of reality that I needed. I turned a corner, trying to throw Vittore off but I felt a hand grab the back of my shirt. I was pushed to the wall, hitting my head and holding it in pain. Before I could fall to the ground, a hand wrapped around my throat and I was pushed against the wall yet again.

I looked up at Vittore who wasn't even breathing heavily. His eyes started at me intensely as I tried to get his hands off my neck. He was slowly tightening them and I didn't want to lose consciousness. That would be bad on my part.

"Sei un tale rompicoglioni (You're such a pain in the ass)," Vittore growled as he tightened his grip.

"Senti chi parla (Look who's talking)," I gasped out.

"I should kill you right here," Vittore said.

"Then do it," I taunted with a smile. Vittore's hands continued to tighten around my neck and I gasped for air, trying to pull his hands away. Black dots begun to cloud my vision.

"Hey!" a voice sounded. Vittore's hands immediately left my neck as I dropped to the floor, coughing and splattering.

"Figlio di puttana (Son of a bitch)," I groaned out as I held my neck. Looking up through tearful eyes, I barely made out the form of a guy in a chicken suit.

"What are you doing to her?" The chicken suit guy asked, his huge chicken head glancing at me.

Bloody idiot.