40. Reminiscence II

The scenery changed again, and Kim Jaehyun found himself standing at a school gate later in the afternoon.

He was still in middle school and he clearly remembered this was about three months after his accident. His father, who was wary of the sudden change in his son and also didn't believe that he'd truly changed was proven right when he had received some reports of Kim Jaehyun's continued acts of violence, somehow even though the reports had decreased in number, the violence itself had become much worse, much crueler.

Kim Daesung moved Kim Jaehyun to another city, much less advanced than Seoul, he enrolled him into a middle class school and left him there only ever sending him an allowance and having people watch over him.

In the end it didn't matter much since Kim Daesung already had two commendable heirs and another youngest one.

Kim Jaehyun was waiting for his driver to come pick him up when as usual he saw a middle aged man carrying a child in his hands.

Kim Jaehyun knew the child, he was in the same class as him but because of how tiny the boy was he looked more like a preschooler.

Everyday, despite the man coming to pick the younger boy up, he'd still stand near the classroom with the child in arms and just wait.

After a week of seeing this, Kim Jaehyun couldn't help his curiosity. "Pardon me Mister, but why are you always standing here?"

The older man showed Kim Jaehyun a smile as he answered, "I'm accompanying my son."

"Accompanying him?" Kim Jaehyun asked, he thought to himself, old man, aren't you here to pick him up?

"He's waiting for someone," the man answered.

Kim Jaehyun was still curious, "who is he waiting for? Everyday he waits for this person but then after he falls asleep I see you leave this place."

"He's waiting for someone who won't come back," this time the man had a particularly sorrowful expression.

Kim Jaehyun then told the man, "why don't you tell him to stop waiting? Isn't it pointless?"

The older man shook his head, "I'm not cruel enough to shatter my own sons hopes. This is just the way he is and as his father I should at least be there for him."

At this point Kim Jaehyun felt really envious, how lucky this child was to have such a loving father, as for himself, he'd clearly been thrown away due to his strangeness and unsociable attitude. Even after trying to change himself, his father still pushed him away.

That was Kim Jaehyun's first encounter with the person he'd later call 'Eolin-wangja' (little prince).

Kim Jaehyun started to watch this child, he was awkward and clumsy, often scatterbrained and bad things just kept happening to him even if he was sitting perfectly still.

The child didn't have many friends and he didn't try to make any but once it was home time, he'd suddenly become happy, he'd sit outside class and wait patiently with a smile on his face.

Kim Jaehyun thought, maybe I should tell him... he felt irritated watching this child wait like an idiot for someone who wasn't ever going to show up. His persistent efforts and the fact that his father would wait with him agitated Kim Jaehyun for reasons unknown to himself.