Chapter 17

I was a dark figure moving in the shadows of the palace. My cloak was really a deep red but in the darkness it was black. The hood covered my face, but no my I sight. I had left my room less than ten minutes after Di had awaken me. The only others who knew of this was Buckingham and my personal guards. Right now, I was halfway to the stables where Eximius was being prepared. He too would be adorned in silver in the coming hours. As a rider, I have learned that the horse comes to share your mind. They can sense how you feel when you mount them, its more of a bond really. And I trusted the majestic beast with my life. There is always a horse and a rider, but it takes time to form the bond so that you are the horse’s rider.

     Just as I was about to reach the open-aired hallway that led to the stables, I had to cling to the darkness when a chamber door ahead of me opened. Out came a woman who was giggling, her cheeks flushed red. Wait – wasn’t that the -

     Before I could finish my thought, then and there emerged Francis from the door, grabbing Lady Duchamp by the waist as she giggled. His lips were on her neck as he took her back, whispering loud enough for me to hear “wait until morning.” Without noticing, I looked down to see that my hand was fisted and I was holding my breath. And my heart – I don’t know – it hurt. Not like a pain from cardiac arrest but something more. I wanted to hit myself against the head for opening my heart to that imbecile! Had I really let down my guard down now? Eleanor, you idiot. Leaning against the wall for support, I took a sharp intake of breath before continuing down the corridor, putting a certain finger in the air as I passed by his door. Luckily, the rooms in the palace are sound proof, so whatever, that heavens, was going on inside couldn’t be heard unless your ear was pressed against the wall or door.

     I didn’t cry. No tears will I shed for him. But I don’t feel betrayed, we aren’t married. I just feel that I was stupid enough to believe for a brief moment that there was finally a man out there who would respect me and love me for who I am and see me as his equal, not some object of please. But with King Francis, I was wrong. When I walked into the stables, I was greeted by Buckingham as he stood beside the stable boy that held onto Eximius for me. Keeping a straight face and hiding my emotions is something I have mastered, but even now Buckingham could tell when something was up. He moved towards me as I took the reins from the stable boy, saying a quiet thank you to him as I threw the reins over Eximius’ head.

     “What is it,” he said as I walked Eximius forward while I walked parallel with him so that I could mount.

     “Nothing, just a bad dream,” was all is I said as I hooked my left leg into the stirrup and hoisted myself up.

     “Eleanor . . . “

     I gave him a look to stop. He opened his mouth but closed it, shaking his head a bit. He knew I rarely so often revealed my true thoughts in the open, but I saw the way he was looking at me so I split.

     “I am a fool. I opened my heart to him,” I said, slipping on my riding gloves to keep from looking for Buckingham’s reaction. I heard him let out a sigh before gently resting a hand on my leather-clad leg.

     “It is not your fault. If I may speak freely, you are not as experienced like he is,” he said, continuing as I nodded in agreement, “but as a ruler, you put him in his place. Just learn from this experience, alright? And you are not a fool. You are far from being one.”

     Giving his hand I gentle squeeze, I kicked into Eximius’ sides to get ready. The stable doors were wide open, ready for me to ride away on the back road that led to the country side. Mount Andett could not be reached by this road, but the path to take can be seen and followed by looking for perfectly round stones that lead off the road.