Part 49

Conrad can only imagine how Carlos felt when she was in the hospital because at least she knows what happened to him.

She pulls into the parking lot, closing her eyes for a moment once the car is stopped.

She rubs her eyes, leaning her head into her hands as she tries to calm her breathing down.

The whole way to the hospital, Conrad was hyperventilating.

Jane thought it was a normal reaction, but Conrad didn't really give much of a crap about normal when her boyfriend was in the hospital, in an unknown state.

She had never heard Matt panic until that phone call, and it pushed her to drive faster. She had made it to the hospital in under fifteen minutes, whereas the usual route from the prison forests would have taken forty minutes.

She has no idea how she wasn't stopped by the police, but she's thanking her lucky stars as she climbs out of the vehicle.

There's dry mud smeared on her leggings from where Scarlet threw her onto the ground, and she grits her teeth in anger when she realises it.

"Today is not my day," she hisses to herself, running towards the main entrance.

As soon as she makes it in the door, a nurses aide grabs her arm, pulling her along behind her.

"You're Beta Rosser? Dr Matt told me to wait for you; your partner isn't doing great," the lady blurts, practically sprinting down the halls.

"What did the bullet hit? How was he shot? Who did it?" Conrad asks, struggling to keep up with the woman.

She's winded from all of her running, and she still hasn't calmed down from Scarlet attacking her.

"The bullet was partially silver and entered his abdomen. It bounced around in there, and it hit his lung before embedding itself in the chest wall. They're operating in a few minutes. We were hoping you'd make it before he's put under," the lady explains to her gently, stopping to wait for her.

"Who did it?" She asks again, feeling her eyes fill with tears.

She immediately wipes them away angrily, scolding herself.

She doesn't have time for tears, and the more time she spends crying, the less time the lady will focus on getting her to Carlos.

"We don't know. The investigators aren't sure yet, but they're going to want to talk to you," the lady adds, taking off at a fast walk.

Conrad can keep up with this, trying to swallow the knot in her throat.

She can't, regardless of how much she tries.

"We're almost there, I promise," the lady reassures her, turning a corner.

The hallway they're left in has three doors, and the lady takes the first door.

"You have about two minutes until the doctor comes. He has a lot of pain medication in him at the moment, so he might not be very lucid," the lady says apologetically.

Conrad barely hears her as she hurries past into the room, throwing herself beside the bed.

She clasps Carlos' hand, feeling the tears welling up again.

"Connie," he breathes, his eyes opening.

"It's me; I'm here. We're here. You're going to be okay," Conrad makes an attempt at smiling.

"If anything happens, please take care of Sabrina," Carlos pleads, looking up at her.

His eyes are full of tears too, and his face is scrunched up with pain.