chapter twelve ; navigating

AMOS

"Why are you looking at us like that?" Autumn questioned, scooting away from Alex. 

"Oh, don't worry about me," I said, raising both my hands in the air. "It's not like you guys have been making out in front of me for the past two minutes. Not at all."

"Oh," she responded, letting out an embarrassed chuckle followed by her quickly clearing her throat and shifting the focus of the conversation to me. "So.. Amos! Tell us about your day."

"My day?" I sighed. "Nothing too special, really. Just a bunch of patients. I ended up making a stupid mistake today that I wouldn't have made if I was paying a little bit of attention. Mr. Wang gave me a earful for that."

"That sounds pretty tough," Alex remarked, turning to face me. "You seem stressed out. Want me to give you a shoulder massage?" 

"That would be nice," I nodded before sitting on the edge of my bed, my back facing him. He scooted over to me and propped himself up onto his knees , his chest almost pressing up against my back. He then placed his hands on my shoulders after cracking each of them and began applying pressure wherever his fingertips met my shoulder.

I let out a brief noise of displeasure when he added a little too much pressure and he, with a smirk, questioned, "Feels good, huh?"

"No," I admitted. "Honestly, you're terrible at this but keep going."

He said nothing but I knew he was rolling his eyes and calling me something derogatory. 

"You and Autumn seem to be pretty happy these days," I said, stating my observations from the course of the past few weeks. "Anything special going on?"

"Hm, nope," Alex shrugged. "We're just happy whenever we're with each other."

"That's cute," I said monotonously.

"You should really find someone, Amos," Autumn suggested, moving closer to me so she could get a good look at my pained expression from how uncoordinated Alex was being with his fingers. "I don't want you sitting and sulking here on your own every single time Alex and I are together. It hurts to see."

"Then stop making out in front of me," I joked before continuing with a small sigh. "I just don't know where to find someone to be honest. I don't even know if I'm ready for a relationship yet, I have so much to deal with on my own right now."

"Then whenever you're ready," she grinned, her brown locks falling over her face. Alex reached over from behind me to tuck a strand of her hair behind her ear and they both shared a fond look between each other before we went back to our original state. 

"I'll try," I promised. "You know what? I could try right now."

"And how exactly do you plan on doing that?" Alex challenged, finally letting go of my shoulders which were now more tensed than they had been before the "massage", if you could call it that.

"Can you pass my phone over to me?" I requested. After Autumn had handed me my phone, I opened that one app. 

You know, that one? That app.

The one that rhymes with finder?

Oh God damn it, Grindr. I opened Grindr.

"Ohh," Alex whistled teasingly. "Look at you go, Amos."

"Shut up, I'm desperate," I confessed. "How does this app work?"

"It's not like Tinder," Alex began. "You're either going to have to wait for somebody to text you first or you're going to have to make the move. If you want to go with the latter, just click on anyone's profile whom you find interesting and tap on the message bubble icon thing."

"How do you know all of this?" Autumn teased, wiggling her brows at him before the two of them let out a laugh. "I'm just kidding."

"Okay, but how do you know all of this?" I questioned, confused.

"In my defense," he began dramatically. "I was twelve and didn't know what the app was for."