chapter fourteen ; best bartender in town

AMOS

"At your service, gentlemen," he began, pouring Alex a shot of vodka. "Easy how much you drink there, we don't want Doctor Amos struggling to get you home again." After he had said that, he shot me a quick glance, which earned him an eye-roll from yours truly. 

"Not funny," I murmured, taking another sip of my ice-cold water. "Why did you never tell me you worked here?"

"We never managed to hold a long enough conversation for me to tell you," he began, wiping some of the alcohol bottles with a cloth. "Y'know, since you're always running away from me."

"Because you're always flirting," I huffed, leaning back against my chair and almost falling on my ass when I realized it didn't have any support for my back. Thankfully, that went unnoticed by the two of them.

He hummed in response before setting the bottle aside and turning to face the two of us, "You both seem pretty close. How long have you two been friends?"

"About seven years now," I stated. 

"Cool," he nodded before turning to face Alex. "So you're like the Francisco Lachowski of the story?"

"The what?" he questioned, pushing the shot glass away so as to keep himself from getting another and eventually ending up drunk out of his mind. 

"Francisco Lachowski," Micah repeated. "You know, the authors on Wattpad always have him as the main face-claim? And they describe his character as this well-built bad-boy who has piercings, wears leather jackets, drives a motorcycle.." he paused to look Alex up and down. "You check every single one of those boxes."

"This isn't Wattpad," Alex reminded him. "But yes, I'll bear the title of sexy Wattpad bad-boy with pride."

"That could never be you," I interrupted. "You're the biggest softie I know."

"Aren't all Wattpad bad-boys like that?" Micah questioned, stacking the bottles back in their appropriate places on the shelf behind him. 

"I didn't know you were into Wattpad bad-boys, Mr. Davis," I teased, pouring myself another glass of cold water. 

He let out an amused laugh, "I'm not. I simply have far too much free time on my hands."

"Is that what you're doing when you're pretending to use the washroom to get away from doing your job?" Alex started. 

Micah ignored him and turned to face us again, "Wouldn't it be unsafe for you to drive in the condition you're currently in?"

"What condition? I'm not drunk," Alex responded. "Actually, now that you mention it, it probably wouldn't be too safe for me to drive Amos and myself back home since I did have a few shots."

"But we've done this before and we've never gotten into any sort of accident," I interrupted.

"Who's to say that this time you'll be that lucky?" Micah began. When I opened my mouth to protest once again, he interrupted me again. "You're a doctor, Amos. You should know better."

I said nothing. I stayed losing against this guy. 

And besides, I was just using that as an excuse to get as far away from him as I could. I was unwilling to spend another second in the same room with him. The idea of having to have him drop us off at our place for the second time was a disturbing thought indeed. 

"My father was killed in a drunk driving accident," Micah spoke up after a moment of silence. "It's okay, you can laugh."

Alex and I turned to share a look amongst ourselves. A look of concern and confusion.

"Laugh? Are you being serious?" I started. "I'm sorry for your loss."

"It's my way of coping," he shrugged. "We all have different ways of coping with loss, right?"

The image of my parents came back into my mind.

How exactly was I coping with their loss?

Was I even coping?

"Ah, I seem to have struck a sensitive topic," Micah stated upon noticing how my face fell after he'd mentioned that. "Let's change the topic, shall we?"

"How old are you anyway?" Alex chimed in. "You're one fine dude."

"I appreciate that," Micah grinned. "I'm twenty-five years young."

"You're a year younger than I am," I noted. "So you should be respecting me."

"A year younger," he repeated. "Insignificant."

He then set both our glasses aside and clasped his hands together, "So how about I take you gentlemen home?"

I choked on my spit, "What?"

"I didn't mean it in-," he began before letting out a loud laugh. "Oh wow, doctor. I never took you for the type to be so.."

"Shut up," I interrupted. "What do you mean take us home?"

"Exactly what I said. Did the two of you come here on the motorcycle parked outside?" he questioned.

"Yes," Alex nodded. "I'm not planning on leaving it here overnight. I don't think three people would fit on Samantha either."

Micah raised his brows at the name but decided to not question it, "How about I take Alex home by my car and I bring Doctor Amos home on your motorcycle? I know a thing or two about bikes myself."

"That's unnecessary," I complained. "You can just drop the two of us off at home with your car and drop the bike off on your own after you're done. Or I can ask someone else to drop it off."

"No, I insist," he began. "I'd like to spend some time with you, doctor."