𝑰. House of Horror.

CUPID's CURSE!    /      VOL i

one.  ━━━━━━━ house of horror.

       Loretta sighs a deep and tiresome sigh. 

A sigh that fills up the matte black vehicle and meets the ears of both her irritated mother and sister. Frustrated was the youngest dark-haired girl, all because of the vacant sight of any grey messages or indication that her friends from her previous town had texted back. A mess of dark chestnut hair wraps restlessly around her newly manicured nail, creating a sharp contrast between the pearly white shade and the locks that cascade down as a curtain around her phone as she sits in a hunched position. 

With hands clutching the steering wheel up front, Sandra senses the thousandth sigh that's seconds away from parting her youngest daughter's lips. 

      "Hey, Loretta! ¡¿Qué?!" She exclaims. Her gaze lingers on the rear-view mirror observing as her daughter blows her hair from her semi-sulking face with a huff. "Sit up," She directs, "Y dime." 

      "It's not a big deal," Loretta mumbles. 

      "It must be if you're making all that noise," Sandra adds. 

After announcing to her children of the up and coming move to the land of the rich, they weren't as ecstatic as she had expected, more Rebeka than Loretta. Although it wasn't much, their neighbourhood, their friends, their old life was all they'd known. That is until the lottery grants them the opportunity to start over. 

      Clicking her teeth, Rebeka takes it upon herself to investigate the source of Loretta's worries. Just as her fingers enclose around the dying phone once nestled in her sister's grip, her other, vacant hand immediately pushes Lora's disgruntled face away as she tries desperately to retrieve the smartphone. 

       "Hey!" Her words are muffled against the palm that's smushed up against her face. As she resists more and more, she feels herself being pushed farther into the comforting, cushioned car seats. "Rebe, give —"

       "What's this?" Rebe taunts, skimming over the ceaseless blue shaded messages. "What have I told you about these girls, huh? They're not worth your time, Lo." 

      "Lo sé — but they're my friends." Lora almost pleads. 

      "Friends don't mislead you into fucked up shit." Rebeka scolds, carelessly swiping through and erasing each contact. 

      "She's right, Mija." Sandra chimes from ahead.

       Loretta's eyes roll. "It was a harmless prank —"

       "— That almost got you arrested." Rebeka dashes the phone pathetically upon Loretta's lap. "They tricked you into shoplifting, Lo — a €790.00 bag. Do you realise how serious that is?" Though, this mishap had occurred just over a year ago, it was very much fresh in the protective sister's mind.