41. Reminiscence III

Kim Jaehyun was shown another memory, in this one he had been called back to his family home by his father and he ended up not returning to school for a whole year because his father had enrolled him into a special programme for rich kids like himself during that period.

When he returned to school, the fissures had grown.

"Hyung, do you want to come over to my place, mother and father want to have dinner to welcome you back," Hyunjin said happily.

Seeing that Hyunjin was his usual self, Kim Jaehyun assured himself that nothing had changed.

"What about Haejin?"

The smile on Hyunjins face faltered, suffice to say he wasn't an expert at controlling or concealing his emotions.

"Noona can't come, she said she was busy," Hyunjin explained, "but it's okay, we'll just have to have two welcome back dinners instead, hyung doesn't mind right?"

Kim Jaehyun chuckled pretending not to have noticed anything, "two dinners is nice, I miss aunts cooking."

"Great! Lets go then."

Kim Jaehyun lied to himself, things are the same and they'll remain the same.... even if Park Haejin changes, it's fine so long as I don't change and Hyunjin doesn't change.....

Third year of high school, all three of them were in different classes.

At this point Park Haejin seemed to have found a new group of friends outside of high school. From Kim Jaehyun's point of view, her new friends didn't seem like 'good crowd' not that he could say anything about it.

It's okay, things are still the same....

Kim Jaehyun made a number of friends in his class. He was still acting as a gentlemanly person at school so of course he found himself surrounded with people.

The time he spent with Haejin and Hyunjin decreased little by little.

Kim Jaehyun lied to himself again, it's okay, so long as Hyunjin doesn't change then things are still the same.

The lies continued, he didn't hang out with Hyunjin or Park Haejin as much but on some days he did notice that Hyunjin had more bruises on his face or he'd be drenched and somehow that natural brightness he always had around him had dimmed. His shoulders sagged and he kept his head low.

"Hyunjin, what's up?"

"Ehh? Hyung, why are you here?" Hyunjin smiled brightly, it was the exact same smile he always showed.

Kim Jaehyun gave a light chuckle, he reached out and ruffled Hyunjins hair, "I haven't seen my dongsaeng in a long time, is it alright if I sit with you?"

It was during lunch break. Hyunjin nodded enthusiastically, shifting to the side to make room for Kim Jaehyun on the bench, "of course it's okay! Why are you even asking?"

See? Hyunjin didn't change.... it's still the same.... right?

.
.
.
"Jaehyun oppa shouldn't hang out with that guy, he's too weird! Even if you're being nice, its not good for your image," Kim Jaehyuns girlfriend at that time said to him in a disdainful tone.

Normally, if someone were to say something like that, he'd already be gripping them by the throat but this time he just stayed silent.

He thought, Hyunjin isn't weird, he's just a bit clumsy and a bit unlucky...

But he didn't voice his thoughts. Over time more and more people said the same thing and at some point when he was engulfed in a sea of new 'friends' he failed to realise he didn't see Hyunjin anymore.