Chapter One

Getting a letter from the well known Albus Dumbledore was the last thing Clarice had expected on a normal Wednesday afternoon

Getting a letter from the well known Albus Dumbledore was the last thing Clarice had expected on a normal Wednesday afternoon. She had sent him a letter prior to see if there were any opening positions this year and it looks like she had been offered a position as an herbology assistant. A few weeks after receiving said letter, she was standing on the platform waiting for the Hogwarts Express to pick her up.

Clarice had been traveling her whole life, even while she was still in school. She had mainly done her studying in America at Ilvermorny, but also studied at Hogwarts, Beauxbaton, and Castelobruxo. Her mother was a magizooligist that constantly was on the go, while her father was a muggle who traveled along with her as a "traveling salesman". She hadn't been to Hogwarts since her third year and she was now twenty five.

The train came and she stepped on by herself. Dumbledore thought it be best if she came to the castle a few days early to learn the ins and outs before the students arrived. She spent the long trip reading up on the beginner lessons for the classes she would be helping out in. She stepped off the train once it arrived and was greeted by a very large man in a brown moleskin coat and a mop of brown unruly hair.

"Evening there! Professor Dumbledore sent me down to fetch ya! You're Professor Bates, right? The new herbology assistant?" He asked her while opening the door to a carriage.

"Yes, that's me," Clarice replied.

"I'm Rubeus Hagrid, but you can just call me Hagrid." He said while closing the door after climbing in.

"Pleased to meet you, do you teach?" Clarice asked him.

"I'm just a gatekeeper here. Don't teach no classes, maybe one day." He replied and they sat in silence until she thought of small talk.

"If you were to choose one, which one would you teach?" She asked.

"Why, Care of Magical Creatures. of course!" He exclaimed.

"That's actually the one I was most interested in. My mother is a magizooligist, so of course she passed on that trait to me. Dumbledore said Professor... Kettleburn I think his name is. Right? Yeah, he's retiring this year. Perhaps you should tell Dumbledore you're interested!" Clarice said enthusiastically.

"Yeah, maybe. Anyways, we're here now. Go along inside those doors there and Professor McGonagall should be inside to meet with you." Hagrid bid her a good day and watched as Clarice walked through the main entrance.

Clarice stopped after walking through the doors to look around. There wasn't anybody waiting for her inside and she tried to remember her times here. She couldn't recall a professor McGonagall. It was only for a short year she was at Hogwarts, but she had made some good friends, although she doesn't talk to any of them anymore. She turned as she heard footsteps coming towards and met a man who was dressed head to toe in black with a cape billowing behind him.