In the name of love

(Draco's POV)

Draco had known he was bi since he was eight. Unfortunately for him, his first real crush (no, Father, liking Professor Snape for a day is not a real crush. I was eight and he made me a potion when I was sick) was Harry bloody Potter. Now generally, this wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, Draco was friends with Harry, and Harry was a dumbass.

Ok so he's not actually a dumbass. He's really quite intelligent. But his glasses don't fix his vision apparently, because he never notices anything.

Draco had instantly liked Harry, with his adorable green eyes and messy hair, and his way of distancing himself from his fame to make his own way in the world. But Draco had really started developing a crush during their first flying lesson.

Madam Hooch had finished the teaching portion of the class and was now allowing the students to fly around in the nearby area, without trying any idiotic tricks of course. Harry had instantly flown up above most of the other students and was doing loops and circles in the air. The little grin on his face showed just how happy he was in the air, and Draco stopped breathing for a moment at how precious it was to see.

Draco smiled at the memory, then tried to force himself back to his study of potions that could petrify people but was distracted by the sight of Harry next to him. He looked at him from the corner of his eye, noting the fire that burned in Harry's eyes, even when half closed and reading through what had to be pretty dry reading. The dark hair that stuck up in places no matter what Harry did to keep it down, and Draco just wanted to card his hand through the thick tresses to see if it was as soft as it looked. His tongue was sticking out the side of his mouth a little and his nose was scrunched adorably as he focused intently on his reading. Draco was startled out of his trance when Harry's face hit the table with a frustrated groan.

"You ok, Harry?" Draco asked.

Harry began to talk about his family and how several of his ancestors were Parselmouths, and Draco found himself enraptured by his best friend's flashing eyes and earnest voice as he spoke. It took a moment to notice Harry had stopped talking. After reassuring his totally-not-a-crush-but-what-am-I-kidding-I-am-so-in-love-with-him person, Ron had to break the moment with the information about how Harry was related to Voldemort, at least a little bit.

After Harry had finally calmed down, Draco pulled him out of the library. They made it all the way to the common room before Harry broke down again, and Draco quickly maneuvered him into their room.

"Breathe, Harry. Sit down here. There you go. It's ok. Come on, put your head between your knees. There you go. Breathe. It's going to be ok." Draco continued to speak in a smooth voice, just rambling without saying much of any importance. When Harry finally calmed down Draco pulled the smaller boy down on the bed so they could sit close together.

Harry finally spoke up after a long moment. "I knew I was related to Voldemort. Even if we avoid the whole thing of everyone in Britain being related, he's the Heir of Slytherin, and somewhere down my line Slytherin slept with some random woman to spread Parseltongue around in India. I just didn't realize we were this closely related. The only thing that could make this worse is if one of the Potters married a Gaunt or something."

Draco sighed inwardly. Now that Harry had said something like that, that was going to be exactly how it was. He decided to send a letter to Sirius in the morning to ask about it. For now, he just pulled Harry closer to him and laid down. "Go to sleep Harry. Things will look better in the morning."

********** (Hermione's POV)

Hermione sighed as she picked up the last books from the table. It was nearing curfew, so she needed to leave soon, but she wanted to read through Harry's list first. Her friend had had quite the shock, and she was glad Draco was in Slytherin with him to keep him calm. She picked up the list of creatures and found that the large majority were snakes. She gasped as she thought of something she should have thought of when they first started researching. Salazar Slytherin was a Parselmouth, and his House was the House of snakes, and Hermione felt absolutely horrid for not thinking of it sooner. She quickly grabbed Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and flipped to the snake section. She read quickly through the list of creatures and stopped on the word Basilisk. She flipped to the page and read through the information quickly. "Basilisk... killing gaze... Indirect eye contact... there are rumors that Salazar Slytherin tried to breed one of these creatures, but it is unknown whether or not he succeeded." Of course! It was a basilisk! But how was the snake getting around the school unknown? Suddenly she remembered several random comments Harry had made offhandedly over the past year.

"Salmissra seems a little upset today. I hope nothing horrible happened." Harry had said variations of this each time he had been conscious around the time a petrification had happened. "hissshsihhsshishssiiss" She couldn't understand what he said of course, but he was just hissing at the wall. Where the pipes were.

"She's moving through the pipes!" Hermione exclaimed quietly, mindful of the fact that she was in the library. She quickly scribbled a note and placed it in her bag where she would remember it and one of the boys or Luna would think to look just in case there was an emergency and she ran into Salmissra tonight of all nights. She conjured a mirror to peek around the corners with. Even if Salmissra didn't want to petrify students, someone did and was using her, so better safe than sorry.

She made her way out of the library and towards Ravenclaw tower. A voice spoke behind her and she nearly jumped out of her skin, whirling around with her wand trained directly at the chest of the newcomer. Fred raised his hands in the universal 'I did nothing' gesture and Hermione breathed a sigh of relief, lowering her wand.

"Sorry to have startled you, 'Mione. I was just wondering what a fine, upstanding citizen like you was doing out after curfew?"

"I figured it out, but I have to check around all the corners with my mirror because the thing petrifying people might be there and if I only want to get petrified I need a mirror or some other reflective surface."

"Ah, yes. Well how about I walk you back to Ravenclaw tower so you can get some sleep?"

"Thanks, Fred. Let me just check around this corner here."

Hermione looked in the mirror, Fred glancing at it too, and saw a pair of large yellow eyes.