35.5| It's Always Been You

Izuku Midoriya

I look down at the neon green wig, my eyes wide. "Seriously? This is the only one you could find?"

My eyes trail over their expressions: Shinimi's looks genuine, but her  face hides a smile.

I play along. She's too smart to buy a wig that would stand out like this one. This must be a joke of sorts.

"You'd be surprised," the teen explains, "the others we found were way crazier."

I shrug, putting it over my hair and looking at them both. "How do I look?"

She pulls out her new phone, taking a picture and laughing with a smile. "Y-You look like you put a mop on your head!"

Her smile. Is she happy? Is that all it takes to make her laugh? 

I blush, pulling off the wig.

Did make her happy? 

It feels like it's been forever since I've made someone smile like that. 

She takes out a different wig, handing it over with the remnants of a laugh on her face. "Sorry. I just felt like we could all use a little cheering up."

I take it from her, inspecting the black wig. "It's fine. This one is still way better, though."

"Try it on!" She says, clapping her hands a bit.

She must think I was embarrassed, I think to myself, putting on the wig and placing my hands on my hips. "For real this time. How do I look?"

The kid pipes up. "Pretty normal, though your freckles stand out a bit."

"Eh, whatever." I mutter, shaking my head. As expected, the wig falls into my hands. "I'm more concerned about how easily this comes off."

"Oh! I can fix that," She says to me, pulling something out of her bag. "Bend down a little."

I do as I'm told, trying not to look at her face. It doesn't work.

Why did she help me back then? Why didn't she try harder to run away? She's still here. With me. Does she still think . . . I'm a hero?

Her cheeks turn red. "Why are you staring? Are the bobby pins poking you?"

"No, it's you," I whisper, looking at her eyes, "it's definitely you."

It's always been you. 

That's why I've made it this far. I don't think I would've made it out of that hospital if it weren't for you.

I don't say anything else as she steps back, clearly flustered. "W-Well I th-think it looks good now."

"Yeah? It should be fine like this," Shinimi says, "Alright! Time to go to Tokyo!"