Chapter 4. The Heroine and Male Lead

The heroine's name is Daphnne.

She was born and raised in an orphanage, which was located in the rural district of Lydia Kingdom. There, she met the male lead and became childhood friends. However, their romance did not progress until they've reached high school, where they transferred to S Academy and ran into many conflicts.

The first conflict Daphnne ran into was meeting Lucilline Rubius, the great villain.

"...Are you okay?" Daphnne was nervous. Her entire body was jittery, as if she could melt into slush immediately.

Lucilline didn't answer. His head hung down, with shadows clouded over his face.

A droplet of water slid down his chin, then dropped onto his collarbone.

With her eyes following the motion of the water droplet, Daphnne held her breath. She stayed looking wide-eyed at Lucilline's collarbone, fantasizing over just how beautiful this person appeared. Heat rushed to her cheeks, painting her in the colour red.

"...I'm sorry! I wasn't paying attention." Daphnne increased her apologies.

She was the one at fault here. She wanted the other to feel her sincerity; she'd rather there to be no misunderstandings.

Slowly, Lucilline raised his head.

Daphnne's blue iris eyes met a pair of golden ones. The transfer girl held her breath, feeling compulsory heat paddling within her chest. She waited for a response to her apologies.

Tension heightened in the air. The atmosphere stiffened astonishingly, and then...

"...It's fine." Lucilline responded.

Daphnne froze. She stood there, rooted on the spot. Were her ears working correctly? Did that pretty boy just say that... he was fine with such treatment? Doesn't that mean... he's faced worse? Was he ever bullied at school? Suddenly, guilt and anger flooded Daphnne's chest. She was mad at herself for this accident.

When she came back to herself, Lucilline had already brushed past her and walked into the academy building. The double doors closed shut behind his figure.

Daphnne jumped up and down. What should she do?

"Of course, I have to apologize!" She told herself. But then, she found herself stuck at a problem. "...what is that boy's name?"

*****

Lucilline slumped over the surface of his desk.

He was seated around the front row. Inside his classroom, he blended in with the crowd of eager students. Truth be told, Lucilline was never a goodie-two-shoes type of student. He just laid there across the desk, never bothering to listen the lesson taught. After all, he was the Young Master of the Duke Rubius household.

He'd learned all of these lessons five years ago. Was there any point to learn all this again?

Nobody bothered waking him up. On every test, he aced it, despite not cheating or listening to the lessons. The teacher called him a natural.

Lucilline didn't want to be a natural at school. He'd preferably use that talent to ace something else.

Earlier, when he was drenched in the fountain by that strange girl, Lucilline didn't exactly feel a rush of anger towards her. On a regular basis, if something like that happened to him, he would've snapped. But... not that time. He also stayed up last night, so his mind was functioning weirdly.