33

The door of the recording studio opened in DèXe Group and his ears were engulfed by Shantey's whispy intonations  on a beat with guitar riffs and shimmering synth-work, playing at high volume out of the speakers

               The door of the recording studio opened in DèXe Group and his ears were engulfed by Shantey's whispy intonations  on a beat with guitar riffs and shimmering synth-work, playing at high volume out of the speakers. It was different sound, but he bobbed his head lightly as he shut the door. He supported his brother's line by dressing in the "Morals Not For Sale" Tuff Crowd top and Amiri Tactical cargo pants. She happened to glance over her shoulder and seen him sitting on the couch.

               Shantey let her producer know her brother in-law arrived and he cut her verse of the new song off and he let them have the studio alone. "Wassup, Toby? You can come over and sit here."

               "What up, wife?" Toby greeted, and the two laughed softly as he sat down. "That's a different sound for you. That's Russ?"

               "It sounds like him, doesn't it?" Shantey thought the same exact thing when she first heard the original version. "But, no, it's this singer from New Zealand—Niko Walters."

               "It sound dope," Toby complimented. "Yo' voice versatile then a mufucka. Go good wit any sound."

               Shantey placed a hand on her chest gently. "Why thank you. But, I called you here because Tae's birthday is in two weeks. Have he talked about anything with you and De?"

               Toby shook his head. "Na', but you kno' Tae. He simple. He'll take a family dinner and be done."

               "I know. But we done that last year. I was thinking since his actual birthday is on a Monday, we can plan a trip somewhere. Probably somewhere cold. Go to a cabin."

               "He'll like that," Toby agreed with her suggestion.

               "Good. I'm thinking I want to make it a couples trip too," She added. "We all could use one. Me, Tae, you, Anicia, De and Amaury. If Lolo and Phoebe wants to come they are more than welcome. Y'all will just come that Saturday. You think Anicia would be up for it?"

               "Oh, she not finna miss no trip, even if it mean she sleeping most of it." Toby mentioned, then the two laughed in unison. "We all down to surprise him."

               "Good. I'm excited. And I want to thank you and Lotus for working with us on DèXe Apparel. It's officially coming out in May. So, y'all will see your beautiful work soon."

               "Fasho, Sis. You family. What ever you need, I got you."

               Shantey was appreciative, nodding, just as someone entered the studio. The entrance got she and Toby's attention to look over at the twenty-two year old dressed in a purple cropped rushed hoodie and track mini runner shorts, with a newly installed lace front and long set of nails.