Chapter Thirty-Three: What The Benefit Implies

sorry na lang in advance

-chapter thirty-three-

FINN

"Kairo. You took the benefit for the seventh city, right?"

I stopped watching the strange energy that surrounded the red crystal to look behind. Kairo looked unfazed by Oliver's question, while Eura raised a brow.

The seventh city? Iyon ang Magus Arena. The magic tournament required for every rogue. Did the Revolution Flag appear just within the arena? With certain requirements? Or was it also randomly placed in the Magus City, along with the other Revolution Flag?

Speaking of, napatingin ako sa taas kung saan nakalagay ang pangalan ng syudad, ang kailangang gawin para matapos ito at ang bilang ng mga beta-testers na kasalukuyang buhay. It still baffles me how fifty of us are already dead. The Armory and the Den must have accumulated most deaths.

I wonder what would happen to the family they left behind? Would the company send them letter of apology for killing their family member in the game? Paano naman sa mga taong walang pamilya?

I remember the first death I've witnessed here. The voice said something about paying the dead player's family, also implying that the money increases the more city the player completes. Pero kung gano'n nga, I don't think any amount of money can replace a person's existence nor soothe a family's grief.

The small panel beside the city details caught my attention next. It was the leaderboard, showing the list of players with the highest points. Marcella sits at the top with Oliver's name coming up next. Kairo's also there, though most of the occupants are from the Blood Vanguard.

Kahit na hindi ko inayos ang paglaro sa mga cities ay naging parte pa rin ako ng Top 10. Although, I'm on the lowest tile, and will be kicked out with a few points.

I burned the leaderboard with my stare. Sana nga mahulog na ako.

"Yeah. Siguro dahil nauna akong makatapos na walang talo. I'm not really sure but it's with me now so..." Kairo let the next words die in the air.

We turned to a corner, now spotting a screen in the end of the path, which means a riddle is waiting for us. Since papalapit na kami sa crystal, or I think we are since the crystal doesn't look like it's close nor if it's far away, that means the riddle would be harder now.

"Hindi ka hinahabol ni Marcella? I thought she'd be interested in yours too." Oliver chuckled under his breath. "I have a feeling she wants to collect all flags and compile all the benefits."

"She can try. I'm not going down without a fight." nakangising sagot ni Kairo. "Pero, kung ako nasa lugar niya, I'd also exhaust myself looking for flags."

Kumunot ang noo ko do'n. May nangyari kaya? Marcella was chasing me at first because I stole a flag right under her nose, but Kairo seems to be implying something else.

Oliver frowned. "What do you mean?"

"Oh, Kai! May kinalaman ba 'to sa sinabi mo noong nakaraan? Something like a bond link?" hindi rin mapigilang tanong ni Eura.

A bond link? For some reason, it sounds and feels dangerous.

Mukhang tama nga siguro ang masamang pakiramdam ko dahil nalukot ang mukha ni Oliver. He looks constipated. I'm not sure if it's because of what Kairo said or he really needs to go.