Chapter Nine: Sibling Rivalry Pt. 1

I know when Miranda is getting closer to resurrecting one of mother Dimitrescu's other daughters. This particular morning I'm woken at the crack of dawn by bickering.

Daniela's voice is sweet and whimsical and familiar by now. This new voice is silvery and cutting.

It hasn't been that long! She might still be alive.

You're stupid! Mother probably slaughtered all the servants because they reminded her of us. Especially your toy.

She was more than a toy!

Of course this is accompanied by a buzzing so loud I can barely hear my own thoughts until I smack the heel of my hand into my temple.

"Good morning," I mutter, "Which sister are you?"

Cassandra, They say in unison backed by a short buzz.

Cassandra is much quieter than her sister though and I'm not sure but willing to bet that it's because Daniela is closer to being complete again. From what I've heard of the sisters, Bela only rivals her other sibling's volume when trying to get their attention.

"Nice of you to join us. I'm Iulia, though I think you already knew that," I sigh heavily and rub my face, "Today I think I'll ask to go out."

It's been a few weeks since aunt Donna visited. For a few days mother Dimitrescu didn't let me out of her sight except to use the bathroom and even then she was just outside the door.

"I suppose your little footsteps won't be following me out the door hm?" I jest.

"Miss Iulia," A whimper says. The maid's eyes are full of tears as she looks at me, "Who are you talking to?"

Hopefully my smile is tired, "Ghosts. Nothing to concern yourself with, you have nothing to fear from me. Good morning."

"You're awake early miss."

"Indeed. Bad dreams."

Again her eyes widen.

"Nothing to worry about."

When mother Dimitrescu comes in with my morning supplements and glass of water I smile.

"You seem in good spirits."

She has no idea, Daniela giggles. I've grown fond of her little jokes here and there.

I chuckle, "I am. I woke a little earlier than usual. And I have a request."

"What is that?"

"I want to leave the castle. Before you can say no I don't want or need to go alone, I just want to smell the fresh air and see if I can see any wildlife scampering around," I speak quickly. But as soon as I finish I have my answer.

"Out of the question."

The old me comes out in bits when I forget my careful walking on eggshells. I scoff and roll my eyes, and it's no surprise I find my face clutched tightly in mother Dimitrescu's hand staring into her blazing eyes.

"You will never roll your eyes at me."

"Of course mother," I mumble, "Please, I-I don't want to leave. I just want to go for a walk beyond the walls."

"The answer is no Iulia, and I do not repeat myself."

"You just did."

She releases my face but only to raise her hand. I flinch and my heart lurches in my chest. But her hand never falls. Her teeth grind together and she growls like a lion.

"Count it lucky that I cannot hit you without breaking you. Damn you and your little body," Mother Dimitrescu rises and goes to the door, "You will stay in this room until you regain your senses. You will never leave this castle."