𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 34: 𝐻𝑜𝑝𝑒

It's been a little less than a week since the fight. Miguel was still in his coma. There's been a couple hopeful signs that he'll be ok, but nothing too major.

I haven't been able to leave the hospital yet, due to the crack in my skull. The doctors wanted to keep an eye on me, to make sure there wasn't any internal bleeding anywhere.

Some people have been by to visit. Sam, Moon, some Cobra Kais, and some other kids from school. But one thing was stuck in my mind, that had me constantly looking over at the open hospital door as people walked by.

Eli hasn't come to visit...

I looked over to the door constantly, hoping to see Eli's beautiful face and caring presence. But, it never came.

I looked over the many colorful cards that were given to me since I've been here. The well wishes and small jokes within the cards made me a little happier, but I couldn't ignore, what seemed like an Eli shaped hole in my heart.

I've asked my fellow Cobra Kais that've come to visit me about where Eli has been, but they've been quiet about it. They usually just clear their throats and change the subject.

Aisha came to visit once, but came with some sad news. Her parents weren't too happy with what happened at the school. So, they decided make Aisha move schools and moved to a whole different house.

Both of us couldn't stop crying when she visited me. It hurt to have one of my best friends, that was always there for me, leave. We'll still call and talk to each other everyday, but who knows when I'll be able to see her in person again.

Through the corner of my eye, I saw a shadow stop in front of the open door. My heart skipped a beat, as I hoped it was Eli. My head whipped over to look at the door. The sight through, made a pit in my stomach, and I felt nerves race through my veins.

"Hey..." The person said.

I diverted my attention off of them, and looked back down at my hands. They stood awkwardly in the doorway, not saying a word.

"What do you want Demitri..."

He sighed and walked into the room. "So.. how're you holding up?" He asked quietly. I just shrugged and didn't say anything, my gaze still directed towards my hands. It was awkward and silent for a moment, before Demitri spoke up again.

"We need to talk." He said. "I don't want to talk to you, Demitri." I responded. "Well, too bad." He said, pulling up a chair next to my bed. "I'm gonna need you to just listen. Alright?" He said. I looked up at him and rolled my eyes, before nodding slightly.

"Ok..." he said nervously. "I know you probably hate me, and you have every right to... but I need to tell you this. I didn't mean anything I said about you at that party." He said.

"You are one of my favorite people in this entire world. And I guess I was just hurt, because Eli is so different now. I watched my life long best friend turn on me, and become someone that hurts everyone. And I didn't want him to hurt you too."

He put his head in his hands for a moment, before pushing his hair back and looking back up to me again.

"I know saying sorry probably won't completely fix what happened between us. But for what it's worth, I really am so sorry. I was afraid to lose you the way I lost Eli. I hope you can forgive me, and if there's anything I can do, anything, to make you forgive me, I'll do it."

He finished his speech. We stared at each other for a moment, before I crossed my arms and prepared to answer. "You're right. You need to do a hell of a lot more than just saying sorry to make me fully forgive you... But, saying it was the first step."