Chapter 27

So what if they kill me? I'm so tired of being afraid.

Pain felt so unbearable for most of the time but now I was in someone's strong embrace and I felt safe. In this sick situation right after almost being choked to death I was feeling comfortable in the arms of the man who always felt so distant and unreachable to me.

For most of the time, I couldn't believe that this stranger who was terrifying and strict could also be so protective of his family. I knew deep down that he isn't bad, or heartless but still those rare expressions of affection were somewhat heartwarming. I was still confused and scared and I was asking myself if I could trust him when I said.

"One of the police officers... that shorter one... h-he put the pillow over my head and I couldn't breathe. He threatened to kill me if I won't put all the blame on Jenny" I whimpered through tears that started flowing again with double force. I could see Andrew's eyes darkening in anger. He pulled me closer to calm me down and he said.

"This shouldn't have happened Ellie. They will pay for this. I promise"

"How can you be sure"

"Because I will make them pay for this" Andrew said with determination in his voice.

What did they mean by saying those things about mom? I was afraid to ask. I couldn't. As I was looking at Andrew those words just wouldn't leave my mouth.

"Can you take me home? Please. I don't want to be here anymore" I must have to look really pitifully right now but I was willing to beg him if that meant I would leave this place.

Andrew, thank God, didn't need any convincing.

"Are you not mad at me?" I asked in the car. "You know I wanted to do what they told me"

"When someone threatens you just do what as they say until help shows up. I don't blame you for anything Ellie, you did everything right"

"Okay..."

When I finally got home twins greeted me with hugs and questions. Andrew told them to leave me alone because I needed rest and I was thankful for that.

As soon as I was alone in my room I checked my phone to see several unanswered calls from Jen. I called her back.

"Jen are you okay?"

"Could've been better" she muttered "but tell me how are you doing, you were the one who ended up in hospital after all"

"I'm doing... fine."

"I'm sorry for everything El. First time staying over and something like that happened"

"Don't say that Jen how could you have known that something will happen?"

"Are we good or?"

"Of course we're good"

"Dad got fired I've never seen police working so quickly. Mr. Flynn really works quickly"

"I'm sorry Jen"

"You're kidding? I'm glad. I thought mom and I will never get rid of him at least now we can call the police without worrying it's one of his people"

"His people? Did someone showed up at your house?"

„I was hoping they wouldn't get to you" Jen sighed heavily "are you okay and I know I'm asking again but every time I meet them it's very unpleasant"

"Do you meet them often?"

"Not really El. They were threatening us a few years ago when dad didn't want to work for them. Now that he's lost his job he lost his value to them but they still have to cover his ass because if he's successfully prosecuted the chances are other corrupted police officers will as well"

"You're saying they but who are they?"

"Mafia"

"Mafia? Like the one from the movies? The Godfather kind?"

"I'm speaking about old, ugly murderers who steal, sell hard drugs, engage in human trafficking. I don't know if you're aware but our city always had problems with organized crime since... always. They're really influential, our local police force is compromised. And your dad is kind of pissing them off"

"How do you know he does?"

"Mom is a paralegal and she heard about him... They bring him in high-profile cases he already put several mob bosses in jail. When dad found out Mr. Flynn is on his case this really messed him up. Don't you watch the news tho? His surname appears often when they cover organized crime-related cases"

"People watch this shit?" I asked pretending to be shocked but I was mostly trying to lighten up the atmosphere. "I can hear you rolling your eyes"

"Good"

"Listen El, I need to go, mom came back from work. Please call me tomorrow, promise?"

I smiled "sure, I promise. Have a nice evening Jen"

"You too. Rest a lot"
————
Hi guys,

I love to read your comments and I'm thankful for every like. Sorry for my absence I sometimes just feel like everything I write is bad. Usually, the mafia is introduced differently in older brothers but I hope it's not too off-putting that this story takes a different approach.