Chapter 16:: Bitches and Body Shots

Chapter 16// Bitches and Body Shots

“You look pretty.”

I lower the eyeliner from my lid, and glance sideways at my sister. Tammy is stood by the doorway, leant against the frame and watching me as I put on my make-up. Jesse is due to be at my house in ten minutes, and I’m almost done: feeling pretty content with my appearance for once. I smile at the compliment, “Thanks Tam.” Believe it or not, my sister isn’t a complete bitch all the time. On the rare occasion, she’s nice to me, and in return I’ll be nice back. It’s only when she insults me, purposefully winds me up or uses my stuff that I snap. We used to get on a lot better when we were younger, but the teenage years suck, and now we find ourselves arguing at least twice a week.

The rest of the time, she just does her best to avoid me.

I add the last dab of eyeliner to the corner of my eye, and observe myself in the mirror. My hair is curled, unlike my usual dank straight locks, and my make-up is subtle. I know Rita and all of the other popular girls will probably be going full out on hair and make-up tonight (excluding maybe Billie) but I’m not as comfortable with that kind of thing. For me, some eyeliner, jean shorts and white Doc Martens is plenty dressed up enough. If I was to wear a dress, I’d just look frumpy and knowing me, I’d probably spill my own drink down it anyway. I think I look good. I nod to myself in the mirror, before standing up from my dressing table and heading over to my bed to pack my bag.

“Is that what you’re wearing?” Tammy asks me, raising an eyebrow. I glance over at her: I thought she would’ve left after I replied to her but apparently not.

“Something wrong with it?” I sigh, shoving my phone into my bag and slinging it over my shoulder.

“I’d just swap the top is all,” Tammy shrugs. To my annoyance, she enters my room and instantly begins searching through the drawers in my dresser. If I were to do that in her room, she’d have my head off, how is that fair? Tammy snaps me out of my thoughts, holding up a white floral top. It’s cotton, and hugs my torso but I rarely wear it because I always feel like I haven’t quite got the assets to pull it off. I cringe at the sight of the top, but Tammy just nods determinedly. “Come on, Lois. You’re trying to impress him, aren’t you? Well you need to pull out a few showstoppers.”

Wait? How did she know I was trying to impress-

“It’s obvious,” Tammy interrupts my thoughts. “I hear your conversations with Heather you know. You’re just lucky that Everett has no idea yet- you know how overprotective he can be.” I feel the heat rise to my cheeks. Am I really that obvious? I’ll have to work on that. I don’t want to be guessed out that easily again. “Wear the top,” Tammy sighs impatiently. “Jazz your outfits up a bit.”

I glance down, and see that she’s right. I’m wearing my typical tank top and shorts, same as ever. It’s not a crime to jazz it up every once in a while, to impress a boy, is it? “Give me that,” I mumble reluctantly, and Tammy grins, chucking me the top. She turns around while I quickly alter my outfit. I glance in the mirror, seeing that the new top does in fact compliment my Doc Martens a lot more than the tank top. “Thanks Tammy,” I say, admiring the improvement in the mirror. With my curled hair as well, I look completely different to normal Lois. Maybe this is the kind of thing I need to impress Jesse every once in a while. I feel a small buzz of excitement.

“You could always wear heels as well,” Tammy points out. I shoot her a look: she knows as well as I do that putting me in heels is like putting Bambi on roller skates. Tammy sees my expression and snorts. “Yeah, maybe you’re right King Kong.”

“It’s Queen to you,” I grin, picking up my bag again. My phone buzzes inside the leather.

“I’m going to go wait downstairs, you coming?” I ask her, and she shakes her head, clasping her hands together awkwardly as she avoids my gaze. Instantly, concern morphs my features. Tammy may be the most annoying kid on Earth at times, but if she’s not acting normal then it’s my responsibility to take care of her. Being uncomfortable and offering me fashion advice is not normal for Tammy- the most confident, sassy little sister in the world.