Chapter 14

Corpse and Lucas.

Sykkuno's face fell as he looked towards the couple. He felt his heart get heavy and his face flushed as Lucas wrapped his arm around Corpse.

"What are you doing here, Corpse?" Jodi asked. Noticing Sykk's change in demeanor. Jodi got off the stool, laying the ukulele down.

"Oh, we're just on a date." Lucas answered for them. He stretched up to his toes to kiss Corpse's cheek and Sykkuno had to look away. "Corpse was going to show me his secret spot-"

"His secret spot?" Sykkuno raised an eyebrow, turning to meet Corpse's gaze.

"Um," he seemed to be momentarily at a loss. "Yeah, I was telling Lucas how we used to come here all the time and he told me that he wanted to see it.. which I'm guessing is what happened with you too, right Jodi?"

Jodi's eyes widened, surprised that she was getting dragged into the situation and waved her hand anxiously, "Uh, sure. Yeah, yeah, I guess."

"We'll go." Corpse said, nodding towards Sykkuno, he grabbed Lucas's arm, started to walk away but Lucas didn't budge.

"Why?" he frowned his eyebrows. "I think we should stay! All four of us can hang out, right?" he said, giving Sykkuno an almost sickeningly sweet smile.

"No!" Sykkuno spat out immediately. Everyone froze for a moment, he felt three sets of eyes suddenly turn to him. "Umm, because.. Jodi and I, we've got plans.. to do.. something. Something else. Right, Jodi?"

"Yeah?" Jodi looked at Sykkuno for a moment before catching onto his hint. "Yeah! Yes, John is picking us up with Mark to go to the movies."

"Oh, Mark!" Lucas smiled, "your boyfriend, right Sykk?"

Sykkuno cringed, "yeah.." he mumbled, "my boyfriend."
"How is he??" Lucas asked as he intertwined one hand with Corpse's, leaning into him.
"Good, yeah, he's good" Sykkuno forced the words out.
"That's great.. Wait! I just had an amazing idea! Are you doing anything on Valentine's day?"

"I don't know.. I guess Mark and I haven't talked about it yet."

"Well, how about we all go out together! Like a double date kind of thing." Lucas smirked, "Oh Jodi you can join us with John too, if you'd like!"

"N-no, John and I have other plans. Fun plans" Jodi immediately said with a smile.

"So, what about you Sykkuno??" Lucas grinned, "like you said, you have nothing planned plus Corpse and I would love to hang out with you two. Right, sweetie?" Lucas prompted him.

Corpse looked at Sykkuno and his free hand nervously played with the sleeve of his sweater. "Yeah, Sy. You should join us. You and.. Mark."

Sykkuno met Corpse's eyes before his gaze shifted to his hand, still fiddling nervously with his shirtsleeve. He recognized that particular nervous habit, he only did it when he was trying not to cry. Sykkuno looked into Corpse's eyes once more, feeling his throat tighten and stuggled to not react to the pain. Instead of getting better, he was getting worse. Moving on was supposed to cure him. The problem was that he wasn't moving on, he couldn't move on..

"Yeah," he finally croaked as sudden, sharp, pain hit him.

"Your sore throat is getting worse, Sykk." Jodi frowned, "see, that's exactly why we're going to go. Before the movie, we gotta get this boy some cough drops. Anywaysss.. we're leaving." Jodi said with a forced smile holding onto Sykkuno and trying to drag her way.

"Sy?" Corpse said from behind him. Sykkuno couldn't help it, he turned around to look at him one more time. "See you on Valentine's Day" he said.

Sykkuno felt his heart flutter. He knew it wasn't for the reason he wanted, he knew that it would probably be hell on that day, he knew he couldn't let his emotions control him. So, instead of smiling at him or being nice back, Sykkuno just mumbled his answer and walked away.