Diverging Paths

Tanis swung his new eightfold blade at the training dummy, tapping it lightly several times. After a few swings, he turned to Dorian, standing nearby and watching him.

"How was that?" he asked.

"Hmm, your form is still a bit lacking. This isn't a sickle, an eightfold blade requires grace and finesse. Take your time." the guard told him.

"I know I know... I'm still adjusting to using my sickle less."

"Alright, I get it. Anyways, I think that should be enough for today. I need to get back to work."

"Very well."

"Speaking of work, how are things coming along?" Dorian asked.

"It's fine so far." replied Tanis.

It had been a couple of weeks since Tanis had moved into Kakariko Village. During that time, he had managed to make a living off of bringing the villagers things they needed from the wilderness, like monster parts, small critters, wild herbs, etc... Though he did feel on edge every time he left the safety of the village, he pushed aside the feeling in order to make himself a living.

The young Sheikah had started to settle down quite well within the village. He had managed to purchase himself some traditional Sheikah clothing with some rupees he had gotten from selling monster parts. He found them quite comfortable, unlike the skin tight uniforms the Yiga had made him wear.

"That's good. Well, I'm gonna go now. See you later, young Tanis."

"You too.."

As the guard walked away, Tanis headed off into the nearby forest. Once he was deep enough, he drew his vicious sickle out and began swinging it, training himself. Though he did hate the fact it reminded him of his past, he knew he could rely on it to defend himself, and he had trouble convincing himself to dispose of it.

He continued training under the setting sun, alone in the woods, with the last remnant of his past that he owned.

Meanwhile

Link had returned to Lurelin Village and was sitting in front of a campfire, resting. Eventually, he was joined by Kass, who sat on the other side of the fire.

"I hope you don't mind if I join you, I need to rest my wings a little from playing my accordion all day." the bard said.

Link did not answer as Kass warmed himself up.

"Hmm... Strange. I have not seen that loyal steed of yours anywhere. Did you leave her at a stable perhaps?" he asked.

Link shook his head.

"She's dead. Killed by a bokoblin." he said bluntly.

"Oh... I'm sorry for your loss."

Link's face remained blank, as he lowered his head a little.

"It's nothing, I'll just get another one."

Though the Champion hid all emotion from his face, Kass' intuition led him to understand what was going on in his head. He began to think, as though he was searching for something in his memory. He began to tell a tale:

"You know, back at the stable when we first crossed paths, just south of it lies a sacred spring. There dwells the horse god."

Link raised his head, a little interested. Seeing the movement of his head reassured Kass as he continued.

"He is the guardian of all horses in Hyrule. And legend has it if you ask him to bring back your fallen steed, and if he deems it fit, he will do so. But be warned, for the legend says that he is easily angered, and if the horse was mistreated by its master, he will suffer a terrible fate..."