Chapter 14

Sunako walked through the bloodied streets of Stohess District. What was once had lavishing and organized buildings, was now in shambles. She now adorns a white cloth, masking half of her face as she along with the cooperation of the Military Police and their own medics round up the bodies for clean up. Their operation has left heavy casualties among civilians and the military, but the damage to the city was unimaginable. There was no guarantee that Erwin wouldn't be held responsible unless the Monarchy has some sense of what the Scout Regiment was trying to do.

For now, the Scout Regiment's and Eren's recall to the capital was canceled temporarily and the Scouts were put in charge of supervising Annie deep underground. However, they weren't exactly in the clear just yet, with Erwin being summoned to the inner walls for further questioning of the Scout Regiment's reckless actions, she must keep a watchful eye on her surroundings.

The Military Police's head medics were helpful enough to assist her in directing the other medics and soldiers, even though they are from different military branches, they have the same goal as medics.

"What's the deal?!" She heard someone said, looking around to find a boy with a bowl haircut to be the owner of the voice. "We just fought a Titan here. Why are they keeping us in the dark?" He asked.

A girl went beside him, taking off the white cloth from her face. "Business as usual." She commented. "But what's scummiest of all... is that there's no 'official' reason why all these people died."

The two looked down the street, the bloodied corpses of both civilians and military alike littered around the streets with large broken pieces of debris lying around. Their blood painted the ground and the walls of buildings in crimson red. Onyx eyes looked at them in sympathy, saddened that their lives were cut short.

A part of her would've questioned her, was the operation worth it for all the lives you've endangered? Others would be too distraught to answer, but she's a shinobi. She had seen and experienced death before. Her hands are stained with the blood of men, women, and children and the scars she bore are proof of her duty as a shinobi. Casualties are inevitable, whether your a shinobi, a soldier, or a civilian, death will always find its way to you.

The petite, raven-haired woman then approached them. "You two mustn't loiter around, you know." She said. The two were startled as they turn to meet the infamous 'Humanity's Butterfly', staring at them with a calming gaze and her ever-present smile on her face. "Please round up all the bodies that you find from this area."

"Ah... y-yes." The boy with the bowl haircut uttered. Before Sunako could leave to inspect the others and treat the injured, he called out to her. "Um... Miss!"

Sunako stopped in her track before turning to look at him with a questioning look. The boy hesitated a bit before opening his mouth, "If I may ask, what was the reason why all these people died? Why are we being kept in the dark? You're from the Scout Regiment, right? Surely, you know what's going." He said.

Sunako hummed a bit. "And you are..." she trailed off.

"Marlo Freudenberg." He introduced himself, before gesturing at the girl beside him. "This is Hitch Dreyse."

"Ah... I see. I'm afraid I cannot simply tell you regarding your questions." Sunako said, much to their discontent.

"What? But—"

"That is an order from the higher-ups. And because we're from different military branches, I cannot disclose to you any information." She promptly added, interrupting Hitch from saying anything. Onyx eyes look at their dejected faces. She pitied them but this is the harsh reality that every soldier has faced and she cannot offer any consolation regarding this matter for she has seen the cruelty of the world far too many times to count. "If that's all, I best be going then. If you seek assistance, you can approach me or any of the medics, I'll just be over there. Now, excuse me."