Chapter - 07

Evan's POV

I was just wrapping up the last of my work when I heard a knock on my door. Braelyn walked in with some files in her hand. I looked at the clock to make sure it was five past eight.

"Why are you still in the office Ms. Taylor?" I got up from my seat . She faintly raised a brow at my question as if I was stupid to ask that.

" The report." Saying this , she kept the files on my desk and I immediately remembered the work I had given her. I was surprised that she really finished the work. I saw her walking back but before she could take more than two steps, she swayed , her eyes dropping. I immediately wrapped one arm around her waist and another on her shoulder to steady her.

" Are you not well , Ms. Taylor?" My voice gave out the concern that I didn't want to show.

" Just a bit dizzy." Came her reply before she turned her face towards me. Our faces were really close , our breaths mingling with each other. The sweet fragrance of her hair filling my nostrils. I dreaded that the realization that this was the only woman who had the ability to intoxicate me like this was growing stronger. Suddenly she pulled away, creating a respectable distance between us.

" Should we see a doctor?" The words flew out of my mouth on their own.

" No , I will eat something and I will be fine." My forehead creased at her words. Does that mean she skipped her lunch?

" What does that mean? Did you skip your lunch ?"  I voiced my question.

" How does it concern you ?" I was growing annoyed with each passing second. I couldn't find a possible reason for skipping lunch.

" Why did you skip your lunch?" From her facial expressions she looked pissed , wondering why.

" This report. That's why. I had to complete it by today, right ? I couldn't afford to not complete it and get fired , could I ?" She used my words in a taunting tone. Guilt consumed me realising that I was responsible for her condition. Of course I had told her to finish the work by today but honestly I wasn't expecting her to complete such a huge amount of work. I quickly composed myself.

" Right. Now come with me, I will drop you off." I walked back to my desk to collect my things before leaving.

" That won't be required, Mr. Lewis. I'll manage."  I pressed my lips together and slowly turned to look at her.

" Are you going to drive in this state?" I mockingly asked. She was stupid if she thought she would drive in this state.

" I will get a cab." She immediately started walking out of the cabin. I followed but before I could reach her , she was already talking to some guy named Austin. She even asked him to drop her off at her place.

Who was this guy and how was Brae so comfortable with him? If I wasn't pissed earlier, I was seething right now seeing that guy touch her arm. I fisted my hands and kept looking at them . After a short conversation she got inside his car and left.

I didn't know why I was feeling this uncontrollable rage on seeing her with another guy.  This unfiltered jealousy coursed through me but it wasn't supposed to be like this. I wasn't supposed to feel anything for her. I had moved on already, or…….. did I? Was it still possible that I felt something for her even after everything she did to me?
.
.
.

Flashback

" I haven't seen you this excited in my whole life." Ryan looked at me amused. I rolled my eyes at him but couldn't control the smile that was etched on my face. I was honestly extremely excited. I was getting married to Braelyn Taylor, the woman who had captured my heart, the only girl my eyes ever searched for, my Brae.
My father came forward and held me by my shoulders.

" Son, this is really a special day for not only you but for all of us. Braelyn is becoming a part of our family. She is a lovely woman. I trust  you to always keep her happy and be the husband she deserves." I smiled remembering Dad's words earlier this morning.

I and Brae met in high school. I was a senior to her . I still remember the day I first saw her. My attraction towards her was instant and eventually we fell in love. After losing her parents to the horrible crash, she grew extremely close to my parents. Both Mom and Dad love her immensely. And Ryan? He and Brae are the best of friends always joking around, playing pranks and having each other's back.

I straightened up hearing the music play. My eyes were trained on the entrance through which she will walk in at any moment. I had never been so nervous my whole life as I was anticipating her entrance and then it happened.

I saw her entering with her hand linked with Dad's but my eyes were struck at her. She looked ethereal in that white dress . I was grinning like a mad man who was unable to hold my excitement.

She nervously raised her head a few times to look at everyone. When her eyes met mine, she quickly looked down. Was she getting shy? I chuckled at my own thoughts.

They soon covered the distance and Dad gave her hand in mine before patting my shoulder.

" Look well after my sister or I will personally hunt you down and have your head." I gave out a chuckle at the threat that came from Brielle, standing behind Brae.

" I would always look after her. You have my word." I assured Brielle. I felt she deserved this assurance being her sister.

Stood in front of me looking as gorgeous as ever was the love of my life. She raised her head once to look at me and then quickly looked away. Feeling that she was nervous, I drew soothing circles on her knuckles.

"Dear beloved, we are gathered here today in the sight of God to join this man, and this woman in holy matrimony" The priest started the ceremony.

" Evan Henry Lewis, have you come here to enter into Marriage without coercion, freely and wholeheartedly?" 

" I have." I spoke almost immediately as my excitement had no bounds.

" Braelyn Sabella Taylor, have you come here to enter into Marriage without coercion, freely and wholeheartedly?"

Seconds passed but her answer didn't come.  She was looking elsewhere, her face looked troubled. I squeezed her hands , worried at why she was so nervous.

Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath before her lips parted to answer.

" I-I can't."