Chapter 1: Tensions (part 1)

"I look like a cake

"I look like a cake." Grace pouted, staring at her reflection in the mirror. "They put too much red on this thing."

"You look fine." Mark reassured his sister, placing a hand on her bare shoulder. Grace winced at the touch, noticing how close he was to her choker. Mark quickly realized, taking his hand off. "Sorry, my bad."

"It's fine." Grace said, taking a deep breath. "Do you have the ring?"

Mark nodded, passing Grace the box with her engagement ring inside. She took a deep breath taking her ring out and placing it on her finger.

"Let's just get this over with." Grace said, turning around towards the door to the hall where her engagement party was.

...

"Well this is different." Shuyu mumbled as she followed Yangyang into the building, the rest of the guests from the light realms following them. She could tell that they were all thinking similarly, not used to this type of setting.

They had briefly touched upon Feu during her lessons in the palace, but nothing could compare to this. There were no plants or signs of life aside from the people of Feu, barren land with cement buildings. In the distance, they could hear people running as a trainer called out to them, displaying the lifestyle of the people here.

"Stop giving me those looks, we're a military realm." Xiaojun told them as he guided the royals towards the base where the engagement party was held. At this point though, Shuyu was seriously reconsidering if this was an actual party and whether they had all overdressed for it.

"Do each of those shiny things represent something?" Yangyang asked and Shuyu instantly gulped as Xiaojun turned around, eyebrows furrowed.

Xiaojun's face quickly changed, a small smile appearing on his face. "In fact, they do."

Shuyu couldn't keep up as they started talking about the different ways they could possibly earn each badge and pin that Xiaojun wore, so she glanced at the people around her instead. Picking up the conversation behind her, Shuyu kept herself facing forward while listening in.

"I really don't like this place." Lucas mumbled to Johnny, just loud enough for Shuyu to hear. "It scares me."

"Why?" Johnny asked. "I mean, I get that it's not your ideal place but it is their home."

"Their home where my ancestors were killed." Lucas said, taking the people around him by surprise. Xiaojun remained unfazed though, walking as if he never heard it.

"Erde and Feu are sworn enemies." Xiaojun reminded them. "Between all the realms, our two have the most tension."

"Not to mention all the wars fought here." Lucas continued.

"Guess I wouldn't be surprised if it was someone from Feu that killed the King then." Taeil added.

This made Xiaojun stop, a hand on the front door of the base. He instantly turned around, glaring at the male from Vatten. "What did you say?"