Chapter 4: Before the War (part 2)

"Why is she here?" Haechan asked the second he saw Sona sitting there in the meeting room

"Why is she here?" Haechan asked the second he saw Sona sitting there in the meeting room. Haesoo only exchanged looks with Jaehyun, while Xiaojun looked over, the older male sitting beside the member of the ice realm.

"Sona came here on behalf of Eis." Jaehyun told him. "She'll be training with us today and then reporting back to her realm afterwards."

Oh great, Haechan thought, rolling his eyes as Haesoo gave him a smirk. They invited her so I can make a fool out of myself.

"Can you take care of Sona, I'm busy training the children." Xiaojun asked, looking up at him.

"What about Haesoo?" Haechan asked, giving his sister the dirtiest look he could muster.

"No can do, I'm about to head to Ombra with Jaehyun." Haesoo told him. "Have fun."

Haechan gritted his teeth as the others excused themselves from the room, leaving him alone with Sona. He took a deep breath before looking at the list Xiaojun had prepared, standing up.

"Follow me, I guess." Haechan said, moving out of the meeting room without a second of hesitation.

He had to admit, he was impressed when Sona quietly followed him, the two of them heading to the training area. Normally, Sona had a lot to say and the fact that she wasn't saying anything was beginning to concern him.

"Why are you here?" Haechan asked. "I know they explained but why are you really here?"

"There's going to be a war." Sona said softly, fidgeting with the hem of her shirt. "A war means we have to fight."

"Fighting is pretty normal here." Haechan said, opening the door to expose the training area. "So I guess that's why war doesn't really faze us. We've been training for stuff like this our entire lives."

"Whoa." Sona gasped, staring as she caught sight of the people training outside. It was intense, all of them lined up and performing the movements in sync. Haechan couldn't help but feel a little proud, straightening his back and pushing his chest out ever so slightly. "This is wild."

"I told you, we're ready for this." Haechan said, crossing his arms. Sona's face changed though, and he immediately became concerned. "What, did I say something wrong?"

Sona shook her head, taking a deep breath. "Haechan, what if someone close to you doesn't survive the war?"

Haechan bit his lip. Honestly, he had never thought about it before, the people around him being much stronger than the average citizen of Feu.

"I don't like to think about it." Haechan simply responded, his smile fading from his face. "Let's just head out, shall we?"

Sona nodded and they moved towards the field where the others were. For some reason, Sona's words ended up having a bigger impact on him than he expected, the male feeling uneasy.