Chapter 30

Hunter followed after Arnoldus as the castle guards barrelled through the hall of the castle to get to the courtyard. Gavin's men had shown up and the havoc they had sparked was exactly what he needed. Arnoldus fled without his Royal Guard and he would his for the taking. But as he made it to the large door, voices sounded from inside and the name Arnoldus said sent a chill down his spine.

She was here!

Pushing through the door, Night-slayer in his hand he took in the scene before him.

"Touch her and you die." Hunter seethed as he stalked toward the man holding her by her hair. Arnoldus pushed her away and turned toward him. A whimper escaped her mouth as blood began to flow freely from her neck. She was cradling her hand to her chest but was otherwise unharmed.

Ripping his eyes away from her, he raised his sword. Standing behind the King, watching with a small smile in her face was a woman. She reclined against the desk, her hands positioned behind her.

"Hello Hunter." She greeted and waved a slender hand in his direction. He had never seen her before but the power emitting from her was ancient and washed over him in waves. Hunter ignored her and stepped toward Arnoldus, who had raised his sword and stood ready to attack.

He felt his teeth elongate as he snarled. Arnoldus looked at his fangs, shocked at his partial change. His lock had weakened. Hunter only needed a fraction of his power to kill him but he wanted to savour this moment, to finally take his revenge against the pathetic human who killed his family.

Arnoldus lunged forward, swinging his heavy sword. He raised Night-Slayer, the metal humming with anticipation as it collided with Arnoldus' sword. Hunter felt the impact in his arms and smiled. He had waited for this chance for the past two decades, imagining how this fight would play out.

How he would finally plunge his father's sword into the man that had betrayed him.

Stepping around him and using his speed to his advantage, Hunter brought his blade down on the pathetic human. But to Hunter's surprise, he was able to block his attack. Arnoldus smiled and shrugged off the heavy cloak, revealing a suit of armour covered by a thin brocade vest.

"I see you came prepared."

"I see that you are still alive."

Hunter smirked. The whorls of ink rippled along his forearms, moving with renewed vigour. The magic in his blood coursed through to his fingertips and down into Night-Slayer. The humming grew and the vibrations of the ancient blade fed his desire to vanquish Arnoldus.

But not before he found the key.

"Your death is near. Give me the key."

Arnoldus let out a manic laugh and threw his head back. "I will die before I give you the key."

Night-slayer hummed and Hunter agreed.

"Your choice"

The wolf engraved into Night-Slayer's ivory pommel pulsed as the ink on his forearms wrapped around his arms, spiralling down to his fingertips. He felt the phantom grip of his father over his hand and the reassuring squeeze of his mother on his shoulder. The polished blade reverberated and taking a step forward he brought the sword down against Arnoldus.

He tried to block Night-Slayer, but it flared with light as it struck his feeble sword, cutting through the metal and down to its wielder.

Arnoldus howled in pain as his arm hung partially severed from his shoulder. Finally lowering the still glowing Night-Slayer, Hunter crouched in front of the wailing man and pulled the small object from his neck.