CHAPTER FOURTEEN

CHAPTER FOURTEEN.

Liliya was sweaty. A light sheen across her pale skin as she walked by Arina. The pair both looked equally as sweaty. Still panting softly from their training. Thankfully, there was a distinct lack of injuries. Liliya had a bruised cheek and Arina's lip had been split but nothing major. Everything was relatively calm that day. Though Liliya was still tender after her return from travel.

Arina grabbed her arm and veered the redhead towards the Lake. Grisha were walking past with grins and loud chattering voices. Liliya knew that they would be going to eat but Liliya didn't particularly feel like eating and Arina seemed to feel the same way. So the two walked over to the lake, sitting on the edge of the pier.

Their shoes and socks discarded and feet sunk into the late. It was an autumn day but the sun was shining. It warmed their faces and the cold lake water cooled their sore and aching feet. The training was always brutal to their feet.

"I'm surprised you're even alive, Li," Arina said as she turned her head to face the other woman. Her hands rested behind her back, propping her upright. Liliya on the other hand was lying down, her arm over her face.

"Do you have that little faith in me?" She asked curiously. Arina frowned and nudged the woman with one of her hands. Liliya moved her arm and lifted her head slightly, raising an eyebrow. Arina then turned back to face the lake.

"After Roma and Lev..." Arina trailed off, unsure of how to phrase it. They both knew and saw what had happened. Neither of them were in good shape and had nearly died. Nobody wanted to admit that though. Not even Aleksander liked to acknowledge that he nearly lost two of his men to Isaak. It was a terrifying thought.

"Isaak is somebody I can handle. We both know that," Liliya attempted to reassure but she knew that her voice sounded off. She could barely handle him. She needed Aleksander's help still and with her using her shadows less due to it's negative effects on her. It was the reason she had looked so terrible. Genya had helped her with that discovery. A rather frustrating one.

"Just don't get yourself killed," Arina said. The concern laced her tone and she turned around completely. Her feet lifted out of the water and rested against the wood as she stared down at Liliya. The redhead looked so relaxed.

"I could say the same for you. Travelling across the Fold like you do. You treat it like a vacation," She teased in return. Arina scoffed and nudged Liliya with her wet foot. Liliya groaned and opened her eyes, sitting up. She then wiped the water off her pants before she sat up completely, crossing her legs.

"It's not as scary once you've done it the first time," Arina countered, a small smile on her face. It confused Liliya that Arina would be so willing to cross to the other side. So many people hated the Grisha there. Liliya had experienced that first time during her time with General Zlatan. That was over a year ago but still their words stuck with her. They had attached themselves to her like a tumour and nothing could quite get rid of it.