10.05

Season 10, Episode 9

Helena was on the stand on Callie's trial, the woman being sued for malpractice. Travis Reed, an Olympic athlete, had gone to Callie for a hip replacement, a series of complications resulting in a double amputation.

Now, his lawyer questioned Helena. "Would you explain your involvement with this case, Dr. Campos?"

"Yes." She smiled softly. "I was working in the ER, the emergency room, when Mr. Reed came in, about two weeks after his operation."

"And how was he then? Was he good? Happy? Recovering well?"

"Uh, Mr. Reed came in with a fever, he apparently hadn't been eating... As I examined him, I realized he had what sounded like a slight heart murmur. So I checked his incision site, uh, h-his hip." She explained, looking to the jury as she attempted to be clear. "When I realized the wound was infected, I immediately paged Dr. Torres."

"And you also informed her of the murmur?" He questioned.

"Yes. But, like I said, the murmur was slight, so-" She nodded, but was cut off.

"And, let me get this clear, Dr. Torres did not address it?" The man pressured.

"His vitals were stable, so the logical choice for any of us would have been to treat the infection first, the murmur after. Sometimes you have to prioritize certain-" Helena started.

"But Dr. Torres didn't treat ur murmur after, correct? Neither did she inform Dr. Yang, who had done a valve replacement on Mr. Reed, of the condition, that you're aware of?"

"He wasn't my patient and I trust Dr. Torres discernment. I trusted that she had it under control, that she would contact cardio when she deemed necessary. I did not know she patient like she did. It was not my place to question her decision." The short girl explained, Callie smiling at her friend.

"So it's not what you would have done?"

"Like I said, I understand that Dr. Torres-"

"Dr. Campos, what I'm asking is whether you would have chosen to to ignore a murmur in a heart patient. If you would have chosen to not contact Dr. Yang, like Dr. Torres did." The man cut her off again

Taking a deep breath, annoyed at the constant interruptions, Helena exhaled. "No. No, I wouldn't have."

"Now that we've established that, I would like to present Exhibit A, a picture that Mr. Reed's fiancée took of his incision site." The lawyer requested, a picture being passed to Helena as well as the judge and jury. "As you can see, it looks pretty nasty."