||Market||

My lip quivered as I watched the two most important women in my life leave.

It was just hitting me now, how big of a change this was.

I was grown now, and mama would no longer be there to talk me through things and hold my hand. There would be no more words of reassurance and warm maternal embraces. As much as it was frustrating that she didn't take the news of my mate well, she was still my mama and I would miss her.

I sniffled as I was pulled into Azrael's chest, the gentle swipes at my cheek making me realize that a few tears has trickled down my face.

"I'll take care of you, you know that right?" He murmured in my ear.

I nodded and fisted the material of his shirt as he held me. I didn't want to think about it too much and get overly emotional.

"I'm just gonna miss her." I whined inaudibly as he pet my hair.

"She can visit you anytime baby, I promise."

I offered no response and only squeezed him tighter.

The daemon sighed and I shivered as his ringed fingers grazed the side of my neck; I noticed how they lingered on the dip near my clavicle, and I reminded myself to ask him about the marking situation later.

"What can I do to make it better little Rose? I don't like seeing you upset."

My bottom lip found it's way between my teeth and I pulled away from him a bit to wipe the wetness from my face.

"I...can we go to the village you mentioned?"

Azrael's relaxed face set in a frown.

"I don't know about that..."

"Please" I pleaded with my signature puppy eyes. "I promise I'll hold your hand the entire time—I'll do anything you say!"

I looked up at him, desperately wanting him to cave in and say yes. Although movement in my peripheral triggered my short attention span and I turned to see a familiar face scurrying around with an arm full of plates.

Her auburn hair was tied up in a high bun, allowing for a clear view of freckled skin and green eyes.

"It's you." I voiced in realization.

The girl appeared startled, not expecting me to call her out, but as she looked up at me I smiled, happy that I was right about her being the girl from the garden.

"Princess" She acknowledged quietly before lowering her head once more.

I felt Azrael stiffen a bit at the title, and I myself, shifted uncomfortably. I remembered that it was Prince Ronan who had mentioned it to her.

"Please, don't call me that. My name is Rose." I offered with a friendly lilt to my tone.

"I'm Astrid..."

Her eyes softened a bit as she realized that I didn't pose as a threat, but they were back on guard when she flickered her gaze to the man behind me.

"I need to get back to work." She mumbled under her breath and turned around in a hurry.

"But—wait!"