Calm Waters

Drista sat on the chair, body pulled tightly together as her upper body hunched over her legs pulled to her chest. Tempest sat on the couch with his hood down and mask discarded on the table. He leaned down on his knees while his legs were spread a good distance apart. He kept his eyes pinned on Drista, smothering her in his glare. He could smell a leafy scent telling Tempest that Purpled was home from work, and the lack of audible sound told Tempest that Purpled was either enraptured in some project or asleep.

Tempest slid his handgun from his belt pocket, loading the gun with a cartridge of bullets. He aimed the barrel at Drista's heart. Drista stared at the front sight as Tempest began to speak. "We can do this one of two ways. The first is that you tell me what I want to know. The second is that I pull this trigger. You will be sent to Spawn. At Spawn, there will be multiple people there like cops, criminals, and heroes. They will take you in for questioning. Let me tell you this, the Heroes Association will send in the best... 'interrogators' to get you to talk considering the damage the Cult of Red has done. One way or another, you will tell them all that you know."

Tempest paused to gauge Drista's reaction. She looked him in the eye without any fear of what he mentioned. Drista had understood what he meant, though, so Tempest gave a loose smile while continuing. "That would be fine, however, because you're used to that. The Cult of Red has made sure that you won't reveal their secret no matter who tortures you and what their methods are. The real problem is that amongst the crowd, the Number one hero, Dream, will be called in to assist at some point. You can face any form of pain because that is how they made you since the day you were taken as a six year old. Nothing can prepare you for seeing your brother again after all these years."

That is where the reaction was. Her eyes widened at the name, and she looked away from Tempest at the message after. He assumed as much. No matter how conditioned she was, Drista was never able to let go of her past. That was why her own name had a profound effect on her. Drista needed a reminder, but that meant that it was all still there. The Cult of Red couldn't completely remove 'Drista' from their weapon.

"What will your choice be, dear Drista? Tell me, or tell Clay?" Tempest said as he leaned back, relaxing his body against the back of the couch. Drista gave a low chuckle as she let her feet hit the ground. She stretched out into a more comfortable position.

"Put the gun away, big shot. I was going to tell you without all the threats," Drista said as she rolled her eyes. Tempest slid the gun back into its pocket as Drista stretched her arms over her head. She leaned back onto her legs while looking around. Her face went from casually relaxed to grim.

"The Cult of Red started a group of archeologists who were exploring the lost mansion of Sir Billiam. As they ventured, they got into contact with the Egg. It is a massive red egg that pulsates EMP waves in a short radius, telepathically communicate with victims, and can manipulate plants like vines and flowers to bloom it created. The group were brainwashed into becoming the Cult of Red. Their claim to infamy was how they would abduct and brainwash several unsuspecting victims. They have committed a few real crimes like publicly executing the hero Undying, who was discovered to be corrupt after his passing."

"I knew that already. What did they want with Niki and Jack?" Tempest snapped with dark eyes.

"I was getting to that. The Cult was researching ways to make the Egg into a chemical weapon. They wanted to test if the Egg could enhance items or power machines. That was when three villains broke into one of their research facilities while a hero was patrolling," Drista went on to explain. "In the aftermath of the fight, one scientist had the bright idea to use the blood to react to the Egg. What they made with the hero's blood was Holy Water. The hero was immune to the Egg. Potentially, others were, as well."

"That hasn't answered my question," Tempest said as he tugged the gun out again. So what if he was immune to the Egg? That explained why they wanted him dead, but not why it was Niki and Jack that were kidnapped and brainwashed into killing him. They could have had Tempest when he was emotionally weak. Why not kill him then?

"They traced the blood to a worker at the Logstedshire Hotel. Unfortunately, they had the wrong man. They believed Jack was the immune victim, and they kidnapped Niki to ensure that Jack explained how he was immune. When they learned they were mistaken, they ordered your death. For whatever reason, they didn't want to question you. I heard that one of the higher ups didn't want you to be tortured. Instead, they outright tried to murder you. But the Cult of Red is busy. They couldn't divide their resources to take care of you, hence why they sent Niki and Jack," Drista answered the question with her hands raised in innocence. "My question is, how are you immune?"

"I don't know. I've never interacted with the Egg before the Cult kidnapped my friends," Tempest muttered as he rubbed his eyes tiredly. "What do you mean by 'busy'? What are they doing?"

"They've been purchasing drugs and potions from this guy... Pato Sueño? That was it. I'm not sure, but the drugs are said to come from the far west, passed HermitCraft and Mianite, all the way to the water's edge. I also think the drugs are blood, but I don't know who or what from, and what it is for," Drista answered.

"Pato Sueño? That is El Rapids language. It literally translates to 'Duck Dream'. You can't be serious. That is this drug dealers name? Pretty fucking stupid," Tempest rolled his eyes. He stopped when he thought about the name again. Where had he heard that name before?

"Do I get to know your sad backstory?" Drista asked with a half smile. Tempest had made it clear that he knew her past, and she wondered if he would tell her.

"Sorry, lady, you need to be a level seven friend to unlock my angsty past," Tempest said with a smirk. The two shared a quiet laugh before settling down. Tempest would have gone to bed, but the name kept ringing in his head. Where had he heard that before?

'Some drug dealer that had been seen working with the Syndicate on one occasion, during some showdown at the Cult of Red's banquet'

Tempest rose to his feet as he pieced the evidence together. The drug dealer had been Pato Sueño, the one that the Muffinteers were investigating. What didn't make sense was why the drug dealer was helping the Cult when it had previously been against them. Was the drug dealer being threatened, or did he just follow the money? Did he had a personal motivation guiding him, or was something greater at stake?

"I think we've stumbled onto a conspiracy, Drista," Tempest said with a somber expression. "Pato Sueño formerly worked with the Syndicate during that public execution you were talking about. They went in to save all the guests, and Undying was the only causality. That is where that partnership ended. However, now, Pato is selling blood from the west to the Cult. The question is why is he doing that, and whose blood is it?"

"We can investigate. The Cult picks up a regular shipment of the drugs at the docks once a month. That will be in two days from now," Drista said, standing up from her chair. "We can dig up whatever dirt we can."

"Why do you want to help?" Tempest raised an eyebrow at the girl. She had been through enough already. Tempest wouldn't blame Drista for wanting to take a step away from violence and the Cult.

Tempest should have anticipated that Drista's goal was vengeance. "Those bastards kidnapped me from my home before sentencing me to a childhood of brainwashing. They made me into a child soldier for their own personal gain. I can't have any of those moments back, but I can make the Egg suffer for what it did, and rescue more people like me who are trying to fight back."

"Well, you can stay here for the time being since our goals align. The moment that I suspect that you will backstab me is the moment I shove this knife down your throat," Tempest said with a dead serious face. Drista simply laughed as she fell back into the chair. She reclined it all the way back while the leg rest sprung up. Drista folded her hands over her stomach while closing her eyes.

Tempest rolled his eyes as he turned off all the lights. He disappeared into his room to shower and sleep.