XIX. FINALLY // BEAUTIFUL STRANGER

I had a decision to make. I had to choose between two people that I cared very deeply for. And when I inevitably made that decision, when I chose one, I knew that I would lose the other.

So, what did I do? What any rationally thinking girl would. I went out and got drunk.

Rebekah and I failed to contain our laughter as we hurried out of one of the town liquor stores, stealing a six pack of Smirnoff, along with a bottle of Schnapps.

We had gotten ourselves kicked out of The Grill, for "being too loud" and "disturbing the peace." The bartender even almost called the cops on us for "public intoxication," but it was a bar, who the hell wasn't publicly intoxicated?!

Bex and I found a spot to sit at on at the bell tower, dangling our legs over the edge, an assortment of booze between us.

"I cannot believe we actually got kicked out," Rebekah said from beside me, cracking open a bottle of Smirnoff for herself, while I picked up the Schnapps.

"Well, that's Matt Donovan for you. Always responsible." I replied, rolling my eyes. As I went to open the bottle, I decided that the packaging was far too confusing for me at that point, and instead, broke part of the bottle's neck. "Cheers!" I smiled triumphantly, lifting my drink - like an alcoholic - tossing the neck someplace behind me.

"Cheers to us.." Rebekah smiled, lifting her drink to mine.

"Forever young, and hotter than hell!" I added, before taking a swig of the sour, sweet drink.

___________________________

The next morning - way too early - I found myself walking into the boarding house, after getting a slew of texts and calls from Elena, telling me that I needed to come over. I gently shut the door behind me, doing a once over in the mirror, swiping away a bit of lipgloss that had bled past my lip line, and fluffing up my hair, in hopes that I didn't look as hungover as I felt.

I found my sister alone in the library where we sat down to talk, leaving me to wonder where Stefan and Damon were. "Listen," Elena began. "I'm worried about Jeremy. I thought that sending him to Denver was a good idea, but...I just feel uneasy with him so far away."

My brows knitted, confused as I tried to recall when she'd told me that Jeremy was half way across the country. "Jer's in Denver...right.." I trailed off, still confused.

Jeremy wouldn't just walk out on us, and move half way across the country to stay with our cousins, I assumed. Unless, he'd been compelled by someone.

Elena sighed. "I need you to go pick him up, bring him home."

"Are you really sure that's a good idea?"

I couldn't remember the last time that I'd seen my brother, the last thing that I'd said to him. I mean, did he even know what had been going on around here for the past few weeks?

"He'll be happy to see you, Lyssa." She said, assuring me with a smile. "And I think it would be good for you."

"Okay," I agreed. "but you should come with me. He needs the both of us."

It would be a lot easier with Elena there, besides her and I hadn't had much time to talk, and I couldn't just avoid her forever.

"Actually.."