August 10 6:00 am

Daphne Jeffries was awaken by the noisy alarm
blasting from her cellphone on the nightstand. It took her a moment to realize it was in fact Monday, August 10, the first day of the school year.

Excitement came over her rather than dread as she was thrilled to meet her new group of kindergartners. She shot out of bed and began her morning routine while the sun continued its slumber.

An hour later Daphne was on her way to the place she has called home for the last seven years, Harbor Elementary School in Hilliard, Florida.

  Daphne grew up the only daughter to Laura and Adam Jeffries. She had an older brother, James and her twin brother Oliver. They moved to the small area of North Florida when the twins were just starting high school. Previously they had lived in Savannah, Georgia. Known for historical purposes Savannah was a huge tourist destination. The area was becoming over crowded so when her dad was given the opportunity to transfer through the paper mill they jumped at the opportunity. 

  The Jeffries family was a close knit family. James, 32, married his high school sweetheart, Rene, right after he completed his apprenticeship to become an electrician.  They have two little girls, four year old Sarah and Ellie who was just three weeks old. Oliver had recently gotten engaged to his on again off again girlfriend of two years, Hazel. Oliver had followed in his father's footsteps and had gotten a job at the mill after completing junior college. Funny enough he was sent to the mill in Savannah for a couple of years before returning to Jacksonville. Daphne had received a scholarship to study at Florida State University in Tallahassee when she graduated high school. After receiving her Bachelor's degree she went on to earn her Master's in Early Childhood Education from FSU as well. As busy as the family members are they have weekly family dinners in order to catch up with one another, along with an occasional game night too.

Daphne's cell rang as she was on her way to work. She smiled knowing it would be her good morning call from her mom. Again, close knit family.

"Good morning mom," Daphne answered.

"Hey my sweet girl. How are you feeling this morning? Did that migraine ever let up?" her mother asked.

Daphne sighed, "yes. I took meds and went to bed early. Definitely thankful that it let up before the craziness starts today. What is the plan for dinner this week?"

"I'm so glad you're feeling better.  I'm taking care of everything for the meal this week to give Rene a break with the baby and since it's the first week of school I know you're going to be exhausted," Laura replied. "I figured dad could grill out. What do you prefer? Burgers or chicken? Maybe potato salad or macaroni salad?"

As Daphne pulled onto the highway she chuckled. Her mom was right. The first week of school is incredibly tiresome. Throw in the fact that she was grade chair this year and she was growing more exhausted just at the thought of the extra work. And poor James and Rene. Sweet Ellie had been dealing with awful colic and spent most nights wailing until three or four in the morning. Three weeks in and they were walking zombies.  "I know we all appreciate that thought greatly mom! Personally I'd love a good bacon cheeseburger. Y'all choose the sides. I'm good with whatever. Did Oliver and Hazel decide on a—- OH NO!" Daphne screamed.

The only thing her mother could hear was the squealing of tires and the crunch of metal meeting metal.