two

an;
I had a comment asking to include a face claim for Nancy's character and I've decided on Carlson Young - there's a pic above if you don't know who the lovely lady is!!
also quick notice, some characters will more than likely cross over from The Sun Will Rise, but for the purpose of this story I'll be using Linda's character throughout even though she doesn't feature in the other story, Arthur also doesn't have a son in this book:)
thank you so much for reading, the response already has been so kind I wanna cry I love u all
-eva

***

Arthur woke up with a pounding headache. A gust of wind blew through the open window, making him shiver as he huddled underneath the blanket.

He wasn't sure what time he returned home, but he knew he'd drank a glass of whiskey and then stumbled into bed beside Linda without waking her, or so he thought.

"Why were you out so late, Arthur?"

He sighed loudly, not bothering to look at her as she made her side of the bed and got dressed.

"Business, Linda, just business."

Linda scoffed and carried on fixing her hair. She knew Arthur had been struggling, and recently he had gotten a lot worse. She'd tried to help him but his anger frustrated her, and so in the end she left him to it after he refused her help so many times.

He was no help for her own problems, either. It seemed the longer they were married, the less they were in love. Of course, they did love one another, but the affection they showed each other slowly decreased with every waking day.

"Get up."

She slammed the door behind her as she left for work, leaving Arthur alone with his thoughts again. His mind wandered back to last night and he has the intrusive thought that again, he should be dead right now.

But again, he wasn't.

He pulled himself out of bed and got dressed, heading straight to the office. He ignored Linda as he walked through, going into Tommy's office and waiting for him there.

While he stood waiting for his brother, his eyes fell upon an directory for Small Heath that was on the edge of his desk. He took a seat in the chair and opened the book, skimming through the pages with his thumb until he got to the right letter.

"Who are we looking for now, Arthur?"

"Tom," Arthur said with a smile, not being aware of his brother arriving, "I was just, er, Lewis. Last name Lewis, ring any bells?"

Tommy pondered for a moment, pursing his lips in thought while pulling a cigarette from his inside pocket.

"Henry Lewis works in one of the factories, mechanic. He drinks in your pub."

"That it?"

Tommy paused and thought again before nodding.

"Can't think of anyone else, why?"

Arthur just shook his head and put the book back, moving out of the way so Tommy could sit down at his desk.

"Doesn't matter."

Tommy just nodded and got straight to work. He knew better than to question his brother, if he wanted Tommy's help, he knew he'd ask for it.

The rest of the day flew by for Arthur. He felt different to yesterday, he noticed things more, colours and feelings, things he'd never appreciated before. The recurring thought that he should be dead was strong in his mind still, but it only made him want to feel things more.

He ended the day in The Garrison with John and Tommy, drinking whiskey and laughing about old stories. It seemed for Arthur like his brothers all had their lives sorted. Tommy was living with his partner and son out in the countryside, and John was with Esme and the kids not too far away. But for Arthur, he was still stuck living in Small Heath with Linda. That was one of the many troubles he had that drove him to the bridge the previous night.

"Penny for your thoughts, brother?"

Arthur snapped out of his daydream when John shook his arm.

"I'm alright," Arthur shook his head, "Gonna go outside for a minute, fresh air."

His brothers nodded and he left them inside the pub as he walked outside. The air was crisp and there was a soft breeze, the sun just beginning to set over top of the chimneys and factory roofs.

"Mummy!"

"What is is darling? Oh-"

Arthur looked up from kicking dirt with the toe of his shoe to see the woman and child from last night standing before him.

He quickly straightened himself up from slouching against the wall of the pub, clearing his throat as the woman approached with a scared smile.

"Hello, Sir. How are you today?"

"I'm fine, yeah, fine. Thank you again, by the way. I really appreciate what you did for me."

"It's no problem," she said, her fear of the gang member lessening, "Eyes of an eagle this one."

"Aye," Arthur chuckled and looked down at the little boy who stood swinging on his mother's hand, "Sharp as a tack aren't you boy."

The child giggled and continued to hold his mother's hand, his eyes fixed on Arthur.

"What brings you here then? Drinks after work?"

"Oh I actually own this pub, you're more than welcome to join-"

"There's my boy!"

Arthur watched as a gentleman he recognised as a regular from The Garrison walked out, clearly intoxicated, towards the three of them. The boy let go of his mother's hand and sprinted into the arms of his father who threw him into the air, catching him and kissing him as he squealed.

Arthur noticed the colour drain from Mrs Lewis' face upon the arrival of her husband, though he didn't question anything.

"Come on Nance, you need to make us dinner."

"Just a moment I'm-"

"No Nancy, now."

Looking like a lost child, Nancy pulled her coat over her body and licked her lips.

"Goodbye, Mr Shelby."

She turned and left without leaving a second for Arthur to say anything more to her.

an;
just a short little chapter, I'm aware it's a bit dull so far but things will pick up soon :)