Chapter 26: Everything Has Consequences

Good news! The book based on the Black Widow movie will be out this Friday! (if my health doesn't plummet) It means I have two books I'm writing now. So this book will go back to Monday and Friday updates only :)

Monday

Next Monday, Katya waved at Maya as she disappeared into the school. For once, she hadn't stayed inside the car and actually got out, leaning against the door. Obviously, she hadn't done this randomly. And her plan worked when Mason's dad walked up to her, a bit hesitant.

He stepped in her line of sight and gave a small wave. ''Hello. Katya, I presume? I met your wife the other day. Glad to see you're home.''

She painted her stranger-smile on and shook his extended hand, pushing herself off from the car. Natasha hadn't lied and described him exactly right. All conclusions she had taken, Katya could make too. ''Hi. Yes, she told me about that. I'm glad you came up to me, because I think we need to work out the logistics of this playdate today.''

Paul laughed at the word she used. ''Yes. I think it would be handy if I got your number, so I can call you in case something is wrong?'' Katya nodded so he gave her his phone, and she put her number in, handing it back. From his other pocket, he took a small piece of paper. ''And here's my address. I wrote it down for you.''

Katya looked at it. It wasn't that far from the school, luckily. But still on the wrong side of town from which side she drove into. ''Thanks. You didn't have to. Kinda have a photographic memory,'' she chuckled, stuffing it in her back pocket.

''Wow, that must be nice. Never forgetting where you put things, for example,'' Paul laughed, luckily not seeing how her smile faltered for a split-second. If she could, Katya would rip that photographic memory out of her head. Last Friday night was a perfect example of what damage it could do.

''Yeah,'' she laughed along awkwardly, loving how people are so blind to other people's feelings in general.

''Anyway, what do you plan on doing with dinner?'' Paul continued. ''Because I usually cook way too much so Maya could eat with us. If that's okay?''

''Totally fine, as long as it doesn't get later than half past seven or something like that. She needs her sleep and it's about twenty minutes into the city and twenty back.''

''Half past seven, got it. I promise I'll look after her. Don't want you or your wife after me,'' he joked, raising his hands.

Katya chuckled. But when she answered, a serious tone lay under her words. ''You really don't.''

Paul texted her right after school was out, saying he had Maya in his car and was driving home now. Katya relaxed at that, because it would have been awful if it was a big misunderstanding and Maya waited in front of the school without anyone coming for her. 

He texted her again around dinnertime. A picture of Maya and Mason sitting next to each other at the table with big smiles. Paul really didn't have to update her every two hours, but probably did it because he didn't want any trouble with them. Besides, this way, they were ensured Maya was fine. More than fine, by the looks of it.

Katya had laughed when Natasha followed her to the car around seven, and without explaining why, jumped into the passenger's seat. She'd been uneasy the whole day but tried not to claim Maya too much, or restrict her because of her own paranoia. They had to learn to let go, which was hard when all they wanted to do was keep her by their sides the whole time.

Paul's apartment was more in the center of the city, in one of the many apartment buildings New York had. To their surprise, not him but his wife opened the door on the third floor, welcoming them in kindly. A quick scan of her told them that she was nice too.