6 - A Curse

Barely stepping inside the classroom, and I already caught the glares of my finest bully, Emilia. For some reason, she sat in front of the classroom. I don't know if it is to focus on studies or to flaunt her beauty. She is indeed beautiful, in human standards. But I doubt her attitude is.

I continued on my way, noticing how Ryan, one of her minions, I guess, was readying himself for something mischievous. He stuck his foot out when I was not "looking". I'm not in the mood right now, so I just stepped across.

"What are you doing, idiot?!" She started blaming the poor guy but that is the least of my problems. I went to my seat like nobody else exists. Doing schoolwork that can be done. The project is almost finished but I don't carry it in school knowing how people can get their hands on my stuff.

I busied my mind with school stuff: how much work to be done, how I should do it. Good thing the teachers are giving us that much. Sometimes, I think it is better to be homeschooled than going to an actual school. The problem is it won't be the same if i did that.

I drowned myself... again. As soon as the body goes restless and the bruises stopped coming, the uneasiness takes over, I have to distract myself , taking strains and stress from tiredness. The doctor said to step away from it but God forbid, I will not.

Lunch came, but I walked past the cafeteria. I don't want to deal with anyone. There is a comfortable looking spot under a tree overlooking the forest in a not so far distance.

I pulled out the sandwich I prepared last night, or perhaps this early morning. I remember seeing 2:05 in the news on TV before I went to bed.

Our school is near the mountainous terrain, and the forest is rich in creatures. Maybe that's why he said 'mutilated'. It is pretty dangerous. I heave a sigh, my head rested on the trunk of the tree, the green leaves are holding the sunlight well. This kind of serenity... How could I still live? A silent question in my mind. How could I still eat thru all of this? My eyes land on the half-eaten sandwich suddenly losing my appetite. I sighed pulling up my hoodie, my knees to my chest, hugging it, making my own space. Burying my head to hide me from the world. Pretending I don't exist. Maybe if I stayed like this, I will disappear. As much as I like to stand by my promise, sometimes it feels like disappearing is much better.

"What're you doing here?" the voice was slightly foreign but curious. I peeked and hazel eyes welcomed me. I blinked a few times. Peace does not last.

"Hello there" Math guy smiled. What's wrong with him? He sat beside me, leaning to the tree. "This is a good place you found." I watched him a bit confused, but I know some things, so I looked ahead resting my chin on my knees.

"Ah... why're you enjoying this alone?" He sounded as if settling in.

I slightly bowed my head, so my hood covers my eyes. Enjoying?

Silence.

"Sometimes it's really needed to take a break from life." My eyes trained at the trees, I do need a break.

"Hmm.... you should head back inside." He stood up, my eyes followed him. So sudden? He was looking up ahead then he smiled at me.

I don't have the arguing mood so I stood up and gathered my things, his smile did not falter and I walked past him. His eyes followed me until I turned to the corner. I stopped for a second until I heard footsteps getting quieter. Running. i peeked at the corner, he ran to the woods.

The next period, my partner was absent. along with one of his friends, I suppose, who sits in front. I was staring out the window. Some birds flew.

"A break in life." I muttered.