Chapter Fifteen - Limousines and Paparazzi

Daniel and I were greeted outside of the condo with a sleek looking black limousine. Daniel slid into the vehicle first and the driver was quick to fold up and store his wheelchair in the trunk. I climbed in next to Daniel who had already grabbed a bottle of champagne in his hands.

"I don't think so," I laughed, taking the bottle away from him and stashing it back in the mini fridge.

"You're no fun," He pouted, helping himself to the nuts that were available to us.

I was feeling nervous but I couldn't explain why. I knew the only reason I was here was to make sure Lucas could focus on the fight and not worry about his irresponsible brother getting into trouble, but I felt anxious for Lucas. I couldn't imagine the preparation that went into going into a ring to fight on live television.

"Have you talked to Rebecca lately?" I asked Daniel to distract myself from my thoughts.

He had just stuffed a handful of cashews into his mouth and he chewed indelicately, "I did," he muffled. He swallowed harshly, "We have a date next week," He grinned at me.

I smiled widely, "What are you going to do?" I asked excitedly.

"I'm thinking of going to a restaurant, without you or Lucas around me. No offence, I mean." He added as an afterthought to protect my feelings, I assumed.

"None taken," I responded. The last thing I wanted to do was have to sit in on an awkward first date between two fourteen year olds. "Are you excited?"

"I can't wait," He grinned at me before stuffing his face with more cashews. His happiness was contagious. It was his best quality - he had such a bright personality and it made me happy to see him happy.

We pulled up to a huge stadium and the limo driver fetched the wheelchair from the trunk before opening the door for us. I climbed out first and placed the wheelchair as close to the door as possible before Daniel climbed out, moving his limbs into the chair after his upper half was situated. I stood in front of the stadium in awe at the amount of lights and paparazzi that surrounded it. There were newscasters all around commenting on the night's proceedings. I felt my anxiety build up.

Daniel and I walked to the entrance and I looked over at him, "Do you know where to go?" I asked.

He shook his head and pulled out his phone, "Lucas' friend is meeting us at the front." He stated looking around. He glanced at me before adding, "It's his manager and a partial investor in the gym."

I nodded at him before a booming voice shouted out to us, "Daniel!"

Daniel's face lit up as he approached a man who had his arms extended outwards. He was handsome, with tanned skin and dark eyes. I enviously took in his high cheek bones and luscious brown locks that bounced loosely on his head. He wore a t-shirt and shorts and looked to be about the same build as Lucas was.

"Hey, Miguel!" Daniel greeted happily as he wheeled himself closer. Miguel bent down and grabbed him into a tight hug.

"Where have you been hiding?" Miguel asked, ruffling Daniel's hair.

"You're one to talk. You get married and all of a sudden you're a dead man." Daniel retorted.

Miguel let out a loud booming laugh before replying, "Having a newborn son will do that to someone. I'm sorry, man."

Daniel grinned at him, "How is Mateo?" He asked.

Miguel smiled as though he could see the very image of his son in front of him, "Mateo is as his name means - a gift from God." Miguel's eyes flitted to me for the first time and I gave him a small smile. "I'm so sorry, you must be Emily."