ELEVEN

"Hey, G? You wanna be the one that takes our orders upfront?" I look over at Giovanni as he sits in the backseat of the car with my cousin playing a game using my phone that he had downloaded a few weeks ago

"Hey, G? You wanna be the one that takes our orders upfront?" I look over at Giovanni as he sits in the backseat of the car with my cousin playing a game using my phone that he had downloaded a few weeks ago. I've gotten used to bringing a portable charger whenever I'm with him because he never lets me use my own phone anymore.

I'm sitting in the passenger seat of Carter's car. Today was a special day at Giovanni's and my cousin, Chinelo's school where they opted to let the kids out for early dismissal because of something that involved the teacher's taking this as a free day to do some sort of training.

I was planning on picking them up and taking them out for ice cream instead of taking them straight home weeks ago but when I was heading out the door today, Carter offered to give me a lift.

Gio and Chinelo had already been familiar with Carter since he spent so much time around me prior to him confessing how he felt about me so I saw nothing wrong with it. We were planning to go back to the office anyway.

Gio and Chinelo pay me no kind of attention, practically dismissing what I'm saying by not answering as I call his name and continuing to stay engrossed in their game as Chinelo leans over to watch Gio play.

Carter notices this and lets out a small laugh scratching the back of his neck when he turns to look at me.

I don't know what I'm going to do when they become teenagers if they're acting like this already.

I sigh, unbuckling my seatbelt and turning my whole body around, placing my hand on the back of the headrest of my chair so I can look at them better, and reach my arm out to quickly snatch my phone out of Gio's hand. He looks up quickly and shakes the hair out of his eyes that were blocking his vision, looking at me with his jaw slacked open in shock as both he and Chinelo watch me shut off my phone and throw it into Carter's lap next to me.

"Karma! I was about to beat my high score!" Gio sits further back in his seat and groans loudly as Chinelo snickers quietly to herself moving farther away from him.

"Well next time when I talk to you, I expect you to listen to me instead of staring at my phone all day."

"You said I could use it! Karma, you just ruined that whole game for me!" he continues to whine and I shake my head with a sigh

"You're gonna mess up your eyesight by staring at that thing all day anyway, G. You didn't even look up or out the window to even notice where we were," I say back to him calmly. I'm anything but calm though, I can't stand when he gets in one of his moods.

He sighs loudly and turns his head to the right to look out the window and he lets out a gasp to see where we're at.

It was his favorite ice cream shop that I had introduced him to when he was a little younger than he is now. We never got to go there often but I wanted to surprise him and I was slightly annoyed at how he had been acting from the moment me and Carter picked them up.