23. Night Terrors

TW: This chapter includes blood and gore

Walking up to Ryder with Anthony by my side has me filled with all types of emotions... fear, excitement, hope, love. With all of my heart I hope Ryder agrees to the viscounts proposition.

"Baron Kingston, an honor to meet your acquaintance once more," Anthony starts before the both of them give me a reassuring and nervous glance.

    The tension between the three of us rises astronomically. I can tell Ryder knows something serious is about to be asked.

"And I you," Ryder replies before lifting a single eyebrow.

"I wish for your blessing, to court Veronica. I want to be serious for once. I want to settle down, I vowed to this case. I couldn't imagine anyone else but Veronica being the woman for me," Anthony explains, confidence in his lips despite the fear that I feel coming from him.

"How should I believe this? Everyone knows that you had your heart set out for that opera singer. How can you prove your devotion?"Ryder replies still not pleased, my heart sinks.

"Yes I was in love with the opera singer Sienna. But I was naive, I knew that I could truly never be with her and my heart never truly burned for her. After meeting Veronica I have found a new perspective in life. She is a light in the dark and I am begging for your approval," Anthony continues. I cannot tell if every word he speaks is true or just a show to briefly win me over.

"I will have to consult my Father before and decision is made," Ryder replies after giving it a few minutes of silent consideration.

"So you are not saying no?" I ask my voice more desperate and excited than I meant it to be.

"I am not saying no, and I cannot promise a yes," He finishes.

"Well until you consult Father on the decision would you mind allowing us one more dance? Or perhaps chaperone us for some fresh air?" I ask not ready to leave Anthony's side for the night.

"I suppose so..." Ryder hesitates once more.

From there we head to the balcony overlooking the gardens. There is one other male outside smoking a cigar but besides that it is just Anthony and I, with Ryder watching close behind.

"I can not believe that he did not say no," I whisper as the cool breeze of the night touches my skin.

"Let's just hope your Father sees me as worthy,"

"I don't suppose it should be a problem... he just wants me to marry someone of higher status than myself. I think a Viscount such as yourself will do quite nicely. I mean the queen hasn't brought any princess this year to distract him," I weakly smile trying to keep positive past the uncertainty that is my fathers decision.

"Speaking of your family Veronica, I want to meet your mother. I recall she is sick and I would love nothing more to get to know her before things get worse,"

   "Well yes, she is quite sick, I would love for you to meet her aswell but I am afraid that may be impossible..." I begin my voice turning into whimpers as tears threaten my eyes.

"And why is that?"

  "I am not even allowed to see her. I doubt that mindset would change for any of my alliances,"

"Why can you not see her? Is she contagious? Benedict became quite sick for over a week a few years back and nobody was allowed to see him either,"

  "No, it's cancer. My father claims it's unladylike to see anyone in such a state. So it's just sexism keeping me away,"

  "But you have gone through extensive schooling, more than any girl has been permitted legally. Now they see it fit to draw the line?"